Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain - can LO's gain too much?

Default weight gain - can LO's gain too much?

okay here are my LO's weigh-in results over the past few weeks:

Birth: 7lbs 12 oz
    3 days: 7lbs 3oz
    5 days: 7lbs 8.5oz
    1 week 5 days: 8lbs 6.5oz
    2 weeks 4 days: 9lbs 3oz
    3 weeks 5 days: 10lbs 0.5oz (today)

so he's gaining 12 - 14 oz each week. Is that too much?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: weight gain - can LO's gain too much?

no i dont think so.

My LO had gained just shy of four pounds in a month at one month.. from his lowest weight. Hes six weeks now and near 11 pounds
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

My pedi said that BF babies tend to gain quickly and then plateau a little bit as they get older. Mine gained REALLY fast the first few weeks and then slowed down. There are a couple of growth spurts in there when they are so little. Sounds like you are in the ballpark!

Quote Originally Posted by dreame View Post
    My pedi said that BF babies tend to gain quickly and then plateau a little bit as they get older.
    I've read the same thing, and seen it in my own child. By the time my daughter was 6 months old, she had rolls of baby chub- and then her weight plateaued and by the time she had her first birthday she had become a fairly lean toddler.

My MIL tells me that my husband gained a pound a week- that's 16 oz- on breastmilk alone when he was an infant. He's a big guy today- nearly 7 ft tall and very muscular.

Just wanted to say thanks for asking the question and for the answers.

My LO was 6 lb 5 oz at birth, 6 lbs when we brought him home, and today at 7.5 weeks our bathroom scale registered 11.2 lbs. I was going to come ask the same question!

I feel better now