Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Waning milk supply

Question Waning milk supply

I've been nursing my 7-month old son since day one, and have had no problems until recently. My milk supply has been steadily decreasing over the past month. First, the amounts I pumped at work (I work 3 days a week) were no longer enough for my son's feeding. So, I had to supplement the expressed milk with formula.

Currently, I nurse my son 4-5 times a day. Now, after nursing him, he is fussy and hungry sometimes. So, I have been feeding formula to him after nursing him (usually 2 times a day). The other 2-3 times a day, I am able to nurse him and he is full.

So my question is, do you have any suggestions for what I can do to get my milk production back up? Whyhas it gone down? I am not sure why it has dwinddled, since I always nurse my son when I am with him, and pump when I am not with him 3 mornings a week. I try to nurse my son at every feeding and let him get out "all the milk that he can" before I supplement with formula from a bottle.

I recently started taking fenugreek in an attempt to boost my production. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Waning milk supply

The best way, well, the only way to make more milk is remove more milk. I would suggest offering to nurse more frequently. If your baby starts to seem fussy, you can try breast compressions to help him take in more milk for his efforts. Then, you could switch sides and start the process over again.

Here is some information about increasing milk production:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

Here is some information about maximizing milk production while pumping (helpful for when you're at work):
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

HTH!