Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not liking veggies

Default Not liking veggies

Hi,

So we've been experimenting with solids for nearly 3 weeks now and I'm starting to make my son veggie purees. So far he likes fruit and sweet stuff, but he doesn't seem crazy about things that don't taste sweet. The only non-sweet food he has had so far is avocado but only if its mixed with banana. We're over the whole gagging thing now, but I have noticed that it's when he doesn't like something that he'll start to make gagging noises. I'm going to be trying sweet potato and carrots this week but I just know what his reaction will be...Any ideas on how to make it more appealing for him? I really don't want a picky eater...

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Not liking veggies

did you try non pureed veggies.. like soft cubes of carrots or peas or green beans in tiny pieces? My lo won't eat veggie or anything purees but she will eat any veggie if its in a tiny chunk.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Not really. My son just barely got his first tooth and it's not even completely out so hubby completely freaks out if I give him anything solid. Either way, he takes purees better than actual finger food bc he tends to choke and gag a lot with finger foods and now not at all with the purees anymore.

I know you really don't want to add anything to it besides water or breastmilk. I would just keep trying with the veggies. My LO is just starting with solids too, I'm trying to start off with mostly veggies. I'm afraid to give her fruit first, just for this reason. He'll probably like the sweet potato's.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

I'm crossing my fingers on that one bc hubby doesn't like them and I tasted them last night while I prepared them and I did not like them either...

We have also been experimenting with solids for a few weeks now... Besides rice cereal, which she has had since she was about 4.5 months, her first food was fresh bananas, mashed up with a little breastmilk. She likes those pretty well... so we moved onto sweet potatoes. She hates those... Then we tried oatmeal, which she loves! And yesterday we tried carrots, and she hated those... Anyway, we are going to try the carrots a few more times before we move on...

I guess I'm just posting to say that my LO doesn't seem to like the veggies so far either! I have also got some squash, peas, and green beans to try over the next few weeks. Hoping she likes some of those...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    Not really. My son just barely got his first tooth and it's not even completely out so hubby completely freaks out if I give him anything solid. Either way, he takes purees better than actual finger food bc he tends to choke and gag a lot with finger foods and now not at all with the purees anymore.
    they don't need teeth to eat finger foods as long as there are soft. Babies gums are pretty good at breaking up foods. My dd only has the 2 front ones which you dont use for chewing anyway. And the gagging gets better with practice!! ) Just knowledge for when you do do regular food. I just think pureed veggies are sort of gross and I totally understand why my dd wouldn't eat them!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

When you find a food he really likes, why not just go with it! My 9 month son loves banana, sweet potato and avocado, and I generally have a little variety painter's palette sort of meal. I include a favorite and then a few not so favorites, and mix them while I feed him. So each spoonful has some of the favorite food and some of the less so to help him get used to newer foods. And sometimes I will switch it up while he is eating and give a whole spoon of something he loves, or something new...I just try to keep the meal interesting and switch to something else if it isn;t working. Or take a quick break and start over after a walk!

Hi, I'm a fairly new at the solids too. My LO is now 6.5 months and it was only at 6 months that she really started on solids. (I tried cereal before with no luck.) So, here is my opinion. She hated cereal and only now is she starting to like it. We have started with veggies but I have given her prunes (to get things moving) and mashed up bananas. I think its important to try the new food for a few days and like the PP said, mix with something they already like. She has tried sweet potato, butternut squash, avocado and peas and she made faces for all of them, she now likes them. So, be persistant! Isn't it fun!

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole's Mom View Post
    Hi, I'm a fairly new at the solids too. My LO is now 6.5 months and it was only at 6 months that she really started on solids. (I tried cereal before with no luck.) So, here is my opinion. She hated cereal and only now is she starting to like it. We have started with veggies but I have given her prunes (to get things moving) and mashed up bananas. I think its important to try the new food for a few days and like the PP said, mix with something they already like. She has tried sweet potato, butternut squash, avocado and peas and she made faces for all of them, she now likes them. So, be persistant! Isn't it fun!
    I think you're right bc he has ate more of his veggies lately. I def. have to mix some though I just worry that if I mix it everytime he'll think that is the way they are supposed to taste...