Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight loss

Default Weight loss

Hi- I have been BF for 3 months and I haven't lost any more weight in about 2 months.

I gained about 43 lbs being preggo. I have about 15lbs I want to lose. Now I know I can't lose all of that because I need that to BF. I am starting back to exercise a few days a week. Has anybody lost weight after 3 months or will I have to wait until I am done BF to lose the rest?

Default Re: Weight loss

Not to bring you down, but I'm in the same boat. I'm still hanging onto about 15 lbs or so and have been since about the 8 week mark- my son is now 5 months. I blame it on my inability to exercise regularly, what with no sitter to go to the gym, and we stopped walking a couple months ago once the mercury hit 100 degrees. There's certainly a chance that if you start exercising regularly you can lose the weight- I know its been done!

I have a 3.5 mo old and still have 15 lbs to lose, also. (I gained 60 but I think most was water). I have heard that the BF-related weight loss happens between 3 and 6 mos (for some women). It's different for everyone (don't you hate hearing that!). I've known some who go well below their pre-preggo weight b/c of BF and gain some back when they wean while others hang onto that last 5 lbs until they wean.

Eat well and get as much exercise as your new life style will allow I'm trying not to obsess about the weight----though, it's hard not to.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Here on the boards, we have a forum located here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...splay.php?f=36 specifically to discuss mother's weight loss issues. I hope that you will find the support that you need there.

As far as weight loss and breastfeeding, that is different for everyone. As long as you are eating nutritiously and avoiding empty calorie foods, you probably will meet your goal over time. Give your body some extra time to bounce back from pregnancy and account for the milk-making hormones that are still surging through your body, too.

There is a LLL approved book called "Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding" that I know some mothers find helpful.

You may also find it helpful to put baby in the stroller or carrier/sling and go for a nice walk every day or some other sort of exercise that you enjoy.

Good luck.

Just as some encouragement, I have stayed active but not exercised and I really do not watch what I eat. Now at 14 months pp I am about 8 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. It will come off, just hang in there.

Thanks for the replies. After I posted that I just found a whole section on this forum for weight loss...LOL ...oops!

I just started back at the gym but it is not consistant. If I had a few bad sleep deprived nights than I won't go. It's hard trying to find a new routine with baby especially after I worked out until I was 35 weeks preggo. I love to walk but I live in Atlanta, GA where it is 95 degrees with bad air quality. I look forward to the fall.

I also find I eat for comfort especially with all the overwhelming feelings of being a new mom. I probably need to put down the cookies or ice cream at night...LOL. I guess it will take some time. Sometimes it doesn't bother me and then sometimes it does. It bothers me when I feel like a zombie from no sleep, no time for make-up and I see my flabby belly, it gets to me.
    Last edited by snoopylex; July 20th, 2006 at 08:07 PM.

A friend of mine lost all of her weight and more by 8 months with just bfeeding and working. She always said it was because of breastfeeding. I am hoping that is the case for me.

Leslie Sanson has a great walking workout you can do in your home. Her videos/dvds are usually at the public library, or you can order online.

I lost pretty much all of my weight in the first month or two after DD was born, but I've become lazy and put some more back on lately! I don't work out unfortunatly, and its too hot to do much outside right now. I generally eat well, but can eat too many sweets when I am stressed out, as is often the case with 2 little ones! I need to be better because I'm starting to feel bad about the way I look. I'm afraid I'm starting to look like I'm a few months pregnant again because of my belly!

something that's helped me a little is doing a few crunches, leg lifts and back lifts while DD gets tummy time. I count them out really goofy so that she's entertained & she also thinks it's pretty interesting to see mommy go up and back. I still have approx. 5 lbs that i can't get rid of, but i don't expect that to go until after weaning.

Most importantly, remember that your body is beautiful!