Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow let-down

Question Slow let-down

I am mother to an 11-week-old baby boy. Breastfeeding has been going really well and he's growing so fast! I have just one complaint - our nursing sessions are really long - usually at least 45 minutes to an hour. I am pretty sure the reason is because I have a slow let down. The initial let-down happens within a minute of him latching on, then about 10 minutes pass before I feel another let-down and see him actively sucking and swallowing again. Between that time he's pretty much just resting or sucking very gently. Then, another 10 minutes or more before my third let-down. After that, I usually switch and start the process again on the other breast.

Has anyone else had this experience? I have tried deep breathing, visualizations, massage/compression and nothing seems to be speeding things up. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the time I spend nursing my son, but it would be great if we could get our feedings down to 30-45 minutes per session. Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

Default Re: Slow let-down

Does compression not cause your baby suck more vigorously? Here is a link that talks about the technique (and offers a link to videos that show you how to do it):
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Here is some additional information on increasing slow let-down:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html