Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often does your 9-12 m old nurse??

Default How often does your 9-12 m old nurse??

I am just curious. My 10.5 m old is getting more intersted in solids. She eats them 3+ times a day. She went from nursing 8-9 times a day to more like 7 times a day. Yesterday I think she only nursed 6 times a day. I do want to keep breastmilk as her primary nutrition until 12 months but she really likes her solids most of the time. She pretty much self feeds herself table food with me spoon feeding her applesauce, soup etc occasionally. My goal is to wean her by 15-24 m. What is the min she should be nursing at this age? If she drops to like 5 feedings is that okay?? I feel like is going to starve if I don't nurse her every 2 hours.... She is petite and weighed 16 lbs 10 oz at her 9 m check up. I am not really worried about her weight she want to make sure she gets enough breastmilk.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: How often does your 9-12 m old nurse??

My 12 mo. old DD eats about the same amount of solids, it sounds like. She nurses between 5 and 7 times a day, depending on how often she gets up at night. I know how it feels wierd to go longer between nursing sessions, but my DD lets me know if she needs to nurse and hasn't, and I'm sure yours would too. I think they know what they need better than we do any day.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

I've been posting the same thing for a while now except that my son is 8 months old. Ever since he learned to move, a month ago, bfing is just not in his daily schedule. He feeds about 6 to 7 times a day with one or two solids during the weekdays. He seems just fine, happy and alert. I've noticed his output has decreased though. He def. doesn't have as many bms anymore but still wets his diaper about 5 times a day (he wears a size up so it takes him longer to saturate his dipes). I figure that if he's not going as much its because he's not eating as often and his body has adjusted to absorbing most of his nutrition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

My son just turned 12 months, and nurses 4-6 times a day as well as eating 3 meals of solids and sometimes 1 snack (he always has access to his sippy cut with water in it too). I noticed a big slacking-off just before his birthday, and he seems to be getting ready to drop his midday nursing session, but it's hard to tell (he just got his first molar, so his routine has kind of been in upheaval lately ).

Great! THanks for your replies. It looks like she is right on track with 6-7 feedings a day. Today she went 3 hours between nursing sessions once.. she has never done that during the day!!!! It felt a little sad.. My baby is growing up!

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

hi all.
    my little one is just over 9m and nurses 4x during the day and 1x at night, sometimes one extra here and there. he eats 3x a day solids with some snaxs. he is a very light eater, a grazer really. he just had his 9m check up and the doctor said all was great--he's slim, energetic, alert, and happy. in response to my queries about how much he should be eating, my doctor said "if you were somewhere with no doctors and took a look at this little boy, would you be worried about him?". that is now my motto.
    lots of peace to all.
    t.

Glad to hear from other moms that I am on track (I have not been getting alot of support from friends and family lately as the baby has gotten older). My son is 9 months old and I have been breastfeeding him about 5 times a day now with him sampling pureed solids 3 times a day. He has a doctor's appt. next week but appears to be healthy so far. Thanks for the encouragement!

My DD is not that old yet, but I'm posting a good link. I don't follow closely, but I like the suggested number of nursings

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I'm interested in this thread because I've been wondering almost the same thing, although from a different angle. I think I'll start a new thread with it (Does my baby bf enough?)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    My DD is not that old yet, but I'm posting a good link. I don't follow closely, but I like the suggested number of nursings
    thank you for that LINK. Its very helpful!!!

My Daily Blog