Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hungry or wants to change position?

Default hungry or wants to change position?

For the past few weeks, my LO has been waking at night to eat. at least i thought he was hungry. however, through a couple of experiments while co-sleeping and even some nights in the crib, i find that when i roll him over to his belly, he will fall back asleep. so, i'm guessing maybe he's not really hungry, just wants to sleep on his belly. Is this ok? I always start him out on his back, but then turn him over if he wakes in the night. he's 18 1/2 weeks old and he just rolled over last night from his belly to his back. i'm going to ask the doctor on wednesday since we have a well baby visit, but wanted to know what you all thought.

Default Re: hungry or wants to change position?

Do you mean he is waking more often, or waking at all?

both. he used to sleep from 10/10:30 until 5:30/6 .now he's waking up more often and all together.

He could be waking due to hunger, even if he falls back to sleep. It may be a growth spurt, for example. It could also be due to all of the milestones he's meeting during the day--it turns out that can cause some increase in night waking, and THAT'S OK. I find myself feeling like I've done something wrong when my LO starts night waking more often, and I have to remind myself that it really alright for them to wake up. They switch up their sleeping routines really often (every time I think I know the routine!).

As far as tummy sleeping goes, my theory is it's ok IF the baby puts himself that way. So that means he can roll easily both ways. Usually doesn't happen til their about 6 months old (they roll before that, but it's a new skill--I'm talking about once they've mastered it). I wouldn't place my LO on his tummy at night. It's obviously up to you, but SIDS is still a risk at your LO's age. And back sleeping is one of the only preventive measures we know of for sure (that and BF'ing!).

So, I'd feed him if he wakes up. The other thing that starts at 4-5 months is daytime distractibility, which means some babies need to catch up on calories at night. I know we have nights like that, and when I think back, he's been too busy to eat well the previous day.

Hope that helps.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

i will say he has been distratcable lately during the day, at least while nursing when i'm home. bottle feeding while i'm at work is a different story. he likes to popo on and off and doesn't eat as long as usual. i've been kind of getting used to his night time waking and eating, especially since he's been part time co-sleeping with us. i do wish he'd get back to sleeping in his own bed, but not for the insane reasons my husband and MIL think he needs to be in his own bed. my MIL thinks #1 I'll crush him, and #2 that I'm teaching him a bad habit and he'll be sleeping in our bed when he's 12. whatever MIL!