Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting on a schedule?

Default Getting on a schedule?

My LO will be 7 weeks Tuesday, and I have been feeding him whenever he acts hungry. I don't do any scheduled feeding at all. I do try to do a bedtime routine, but we haven't been very good at it to this point because LO's feeding varies some from day to day.

I will be going back to work when he's about 14 weeks old, and I would like to have some sort of schedule by that point. Will this happen on it's own, or do I need to be proactive about it? I instinctively feel that I should listen to my LO and feed him when he asks, but at some point it is going to be a necessity to be somewhat scheduled.

I hope this is posted in the right place. I'm not sure what the newborn to infant cutoff age is!

Not around here as much :(

Default Re: Getting on a schedule?

This link, as well as this one might offer you some ideas...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Cool Re: Getting on a schedule?

At around 8 weeks, my LO, kind of started a schedule on his own with only minuscule help from me. What I did was write down the times he fed, napped, how long, etc, and we kind of based his schedule around what he was pretty much already doing. Now at 13 weeks, I know that usually I can grab a shower and lunch between 11 and 12, and I can do some housework between 3 and 5. Somedays it'll be off by 15-30 minutes, like if he wakes up a little later in the morning than usual, but now that I am watching his cues more closely, I get a lot more done.

Honestly, I wouldn't have tried to semi schedule him, except I wasn't ever able to get a shower til DH got home, and the housework kept getting pushed off. Also, I needed to get him into his bassinet instead of between us or beside me. I bought the book "The Baby Whisperer" and sort of followed it (though, some of it is to be taken with a grain of salt) I followed the EASY pattern, and the sleep chapter, and within 3 days, he sleeps on his own, and puts himself to sleep without crying, and I knew when to expect his naps, and when to expect him to be hungry.

Yay, for my sanity.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

You are doing a GREAT job by trusting your instincts. It is best to feed on demand...especially at his young age. Babies have growth spurts and need to eat more often during these times.

I found that both of my children worked out their schedule on their own. You may start to see the first nap of the day at a regular time. Then the other naps will fall into place. Both of my kids started getting into regular bedtime patterns around 12-14 weeks.

Because you will be going back to work, I would check out the pumping section of the forums. I bet you can get a lot of good advice about being more scheduled with the feedings.

Always trust your instincts Mama! Great job!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my

Thanks for the info and links. I think I'll wait a few more weeks to see if he comes up with something on his own! I don't want to force it.