Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finger foods?

Default Finger foods?

When did you start little pieces of soft food? What did you give your LO? Is almost 7 months ok to start soft pieces of banana or avocado?

Also, when did you give LO cheerios? And I don't want to give regular cheerios. Anyone use any organic alternatives?

Thanks!
    Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Finger foods?

My DD started eating stage 3's at around 8 months old. The first stage 3 was mostly puree with tiny bits of fruit. If your LO gages on those it's not time. After LO is used to that just make the chunk bigger and bigger. My DD couldn't eat bananas until she was 10.5months after she got a few more top teeth. I wouldn't start cheerios until LO can hadle larger chunks. I give my DD Nature's Promise O's they are organic. There are any organic versions out there. Or you could give LO puffs they disolve faster. You LO will let you know when he/she is ready to move on. Keep trying. My DD still doesn't do well with stringy food such as carrots or beans. They have to be really well cooked and soft. But she eats just about everything now. I thought it would never happen and then one day she got really mad at me and didn't want to eat anything from a spoon, then I gave up put a banana on her tray and she picked it up and bit a chunk of. Now she can eat half a banana in like 3 minutes. They grow up so fast. Good Luck and be patient!
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Smile Re: Finger foods?

We did only Organice for the first 1 year. After that we use as much organics as possible but will permit non-organic foods if they are low on the contamination list. We also only feed organic Chicken and Turkey (no beef or seafoods yet). For protien - her favorite is Kidney beans!

You can get a wallet guide and see a ranking of foods on this site:
    http://www.foodnews.org/

12 Most Contaminated
    Peaches
    Apples
    Sweet Bell Peppers
    Celery
    Nectarines
    Strawberries
    Cherries
    Pears
    Grapes (Imported)
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Potatoes

12 Least Contaminated
    Onions
    Avocado
    Sweet Corn (Frozen)
    Pineapples
    Mango
    Asparagus
    Sweet Peas (Frozen)
    Kiwi Fruit
    Bananas
    Cabbage
    Broccoli
    Papaya
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Finger foods?

Thanks Marymud! That list is great! I hate the idea of giving non-organic food to DD. I try to buy as much organic for the whole family as I can, but certain foods are not always available. We joined a CSA for the summer, so we will have local, organic produce this year ! Too bad the weather has been uncooperative, so I'm not sure how great of a season it will be . Thanks again!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !