Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying

Default Re: Flying

Most airlines will let give you an empty seat for the unticketed baby if one is available. But you do have to have your carseat in that case.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Just a quick suggestion... if you can, get a bulkhead seat. You'll have a little more leg room. Also some air carriers have infant "bassinets" that they can put on the floor at your feet... I'm not sure if they have these on domestic flights or just international but it's worth asking (my older daughter used one when we went to Finland last fall). If they do have the bassinet I'd bring an extra blanket to lay under your baby (germs... yuck!) They only let you use the bassinet in the bulkhead seat because there isn't enough room anywhere else!
    Good luck!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

Thanks so much for all of the help. I seem to keep coming up with questions...I know you can leave the stroller at the gate. If I have a travel system with my carseat attached to the stroller will they take both or do they have to have the bag?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Quote Originally Posted by baby_bs_mama View Post
    Thanks so much for all of the help. I seem to keep coming up with questions...I know you can leave the stroller at the gate. If I have a travel system with my carseat attached to the stroller will they take both or do they have to have the bag?
    They take both. They give you claim tickets for both of them. You will need to take them apart and fold the stroller. Don't trust the luggage people to do it for you. If you need help, you can always ask the flight attendant to help you. They love holding babies. I am just paranoid about germs, so I try to do it all myself. So, usually, I take the infant carrier out with baby in it and set it on the floor. Then fold up the stroller. I've also put my little one in a baby carrier on my chest so I have both hands free to take out the carrier and fold the stroller. I have a back pack for a diaper bag. So, I can usually carry my baby on the front, the carrier on the back...and hold my toddler's hand while we board. AHHH! Like I said before, travelling with one little baby is EASY! You will do great mama!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

So I have made it to Washington and the flights were amazing! Nursing on the plane was actually my first time nursing in public and it wasnt as scary as I thought! Thanks so much for all of your help! I actually got to take my carseat on the plane and there was an extra seat beside me on both flights! Everything went amazing and every where I turned there was a person waiting to help!
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Glad your trip went well! We flew last week too and my 21 month old screamed for two hours in the airport (because we ran out of apples -)but nursed to sleep in 5 minutes once we boarded the plane and slept the rest of the way. I am pretty sure that all the other passengers were as thankful for "extended" breastfeeding as I was.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by baby_bs_mama View Post
    So I have made it to Washington and the flights were amazing! Nursing on the plane was actually my first time nursing in public and it wasnt as scary as I thought! Thanks so much for all of your help! I actually got to take my carseat on the plane and there was an extra seat beside me on both flights! Everything went amazing and every where I turned there was a person waiting to help!
    Yea!! That's awesome-on all accounts. What a strong momma you are! I'm glad it all went so smoothly for you.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!