Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying

Unhappy Flying

I am flying next week to Washington state with my son and I am SO nervous. I don't really know why, but I just am. Has anyone ever flown with a little one? Does the altitude bother them, is there anything I can bring or do to make it comfortable for him. Also, I am single so I will be doing it by myself... I guess that is why I am so nervous.
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Default Re: Flying

i have! it helps if you nurse during take of and landing. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Does that help their ears popping? I have heard that it does..maybe?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

Quote Originally Posted by baby_bs_mama View Post
    Does that help their ears popping? I have heard that it does..maybe?
    sorry i should have said that! yes, it does. it is really not bad flying with a baby. toddlers.....are another story
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    it is really not bad flying with a baby. toddlers.....are another story
    Bring your boobs and a change of clothes (for you and baby) and you should be set.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    sorry i should have said that! yes, it does. it is really not bad flying with a baby. toddlers.....are another story
    I'll say. I'd fly with an infant any day of the week, but you won't get me back on a plane with my toddler. An hour-long tantrum in an enclosed metal tube? No thanks!

Here's what I found helpful when traveling with DD when she was under 6 months:
    - Nurse on takeoff and landing, it really does help the ears.
    - Big shawl. You can nurse under it if you want, and it blocks out light and sound. DD napped under my shawl almost all the way from PA to CA!
    - Sling for carrying baby through airport terminals.
    - Hand sanitizer. Airports. Germs. Enough said.
    - Rattle or other entertaining lightweight toy.
    - Slip-off shoes. You don't want to be trying to hold a wriggling baby and unlace your shoes at the security check.
    - Change of clothes for baby and for you, in case of diaper explosion or giant spit-up.
    - Plastic bags to contain nasty clothes and/or diapers (Don't dispose of diapers in the airplane bathroom- those garbage receptacles don't get emptied very often and if you leave a diaper in there you're leaving a stick for the next people to use the plane.)

Have a great trip!!!

Thanks..I am starting to feel better. I was looking at safety and they are highly recommending purchasing a seat for your infant. Should I do that or is my son safe in my lap? If it is not a full flight will they just let you take on your carseat? Can you leave them in a sling while in flight? Sorry so many questions..
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

Don't be nervous. Flying with a baby is EASY...like the pp said...much easier than a toddler!

You do not need to purchase a seat for your baby...they are very safe on your lap. I always think back to a big plane crash that happened here in Detroit when I was in high school. A baby was the ONLY survivor and she was on her mother's lap. Isn't that amazing? She is like 21 years old now. I know the last thing you want to hear about is a plane crash right before you get on a plane (I am flying on Friday myself). But, I wanted to just let you know that your baby will be safe and unless you really want more room to spread out, then don't worry about purchasing him a seat.

They will ask you to check your carseat (I assume it is an infant carrier?) when you get to the bottom of the ramp right before you board the plane. It will be there when you get off.

All the advice from above it GREAT! If your baby doesn't want to nurse when you are taking off, you could give him a pacifier if he takes one. The sucking motion definitely helps with the ears. Both of my kids never had troubles with the altitude.

Have a great trip!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I liked having him in my lap when ds was little (and even now) but we did a trip once where I gate-checked his carseat (it's part of his stoller system) and since the flight wasn't full, they let me have it in the seat next to us. I really didn't even use it though since ds is a stomach sleeper.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baby_bs_mama View Post
    Thanks..I am starting to feel better. I was looking at safety and they are highly recommending purchasing a seat for your infant. Should I do that or is my son safe in my lap? If it is not a full flight will they just let you take on your carseat? Can you leave them in a sling while in flight? Sorry so many questions..
    I wouldn't bother purchasing a seat for your baby. He's going to be most comfortable in your lap. Do you really want to pay for something you won't use? And, not to be morbid, but if a plane crashes (unlikely), having a seat will not save an adult, so why would it save a child? I just wouldn't worry- flying is still safer than driving!

I really doubt that the airline will allow your carseat on the plane, even on a half-full flight. You can call and ask.

You can definitely leave your baby in the sling during the flight, as long as he's comfortable in there.