Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poops? (m)

Default Green poops? (m)

My babe is 12 weeks old and has been having green bowel movements off & on for 3 weeks now. We were admitted to the hospital Thurs nite for diarrhea, but came home Fri afternoon. Her bm's were normal until last nite when they were green again.

She's the third child I've exclusively breastfed & I've never had a problem like this before. Everything was fine up until 3 weeks ago. I haven't changed my diet. We nurse off one side only per feeding, and I've never had a problem with supply. She's lost weight in the last 3 weeks, probably about 1/2 lb.

Any ideas of what could be causing this & how to fix it?

Jo

Default Re: Green poops? (m)

Jo - I responded to you on the NOTI board Here I'm LLLCarol and over there I'm carosyrup.

Default Too funny! (m)

I just registered over here ... funny that we're posting in the same place. I responded to your questions over at NOTI. Thanks!

Jo

I don't know what the NOTI board is or I'd go read it too.
    I am having the same problem with my baby. They just started having me supplement with breast milk (and formula if I am out of additional breast milk)
    Said if baby does not gain weight by tomorrow, they will start running tests. Baby gains weight when his poop is yellow and looses weight when his poop is green. I was told green in this case means he's not processing his food, it's going through too quickly, but is there an obvious reason why? He was fine until he hit 3 weeks old.

Autumn Dove,
    Do you nurse your baby from one side per nursing session or block feed him? I don't know if babies necessarily lose weight if there's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but their poops are certainly green and it would stand to reason that they would fail to gain weight or even lose weight if there was a true foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Is your baby allowed to nurse on demand? How old is he now?

Also, it's important that when baby's weight is checked it is done on the exact same scale each time, preferrably at the same time of the day.

Something else though too -- weight is not the only indicator of good health in a baby. How does your baby look to you? Is he meeting all of his milestones and appear otherwise happy and healthy? This is a good article by Dr. Jay Gordon -- Look at the Baby, Not the Scale

Sorry for all the questions! I can imagine that you are probably feeling completely overwhelmed and frustrated with this since it's a mystery. We'll see if we can help

well, I've been working with the lactation consultants at the hospital he was born at. We have ruled out too much fore milk/not enough hind milk. We have also ruled out too short of nursing sessions, feedings too close together possibly stressing his system, poor latch,poor let down. We've tried nursing every other feeding starting with the opposite side and we've tried nursing only one side for several feedings in a row.
    In this case, it does not matter what scale we use to know he's not gaining weight, he is 7 pounds 9 ounces. He was 7.12 two weeks ago, and 7.6 eight weeks ago at his birth.
    His doctor last saw him when he was 7.12, they said he was growing fine and did not want to see him again until he was 2 months old.That's when I switched to the lactation consultants, and will be getting a new doctor for him this week. His appointment is in a few hours, his poops are now back to yellow with the supplements ( mostly my milk) so I am certain he will have finally gained.

AutumnDove,
    You cannot get accurate weights if baby is being weighed on different scales. You should also be certain that the scale he is weighed on is not calibrated in between weigh-ins as that can affect the outcome as well.

Good luck today at his appointment -- I hope you'll have a positive outcome!

yes I am aware of needing to use the exact same scale, however, everyone I see/talk to ( ob's, lc's) agrees he is not gaining. Kind of hard not to see it, a baby at his birth weight at 8 weeks old.
    I went ahead and started supplementing with formula, and he gained 9 oz in 2days ( yes, the same scale, same time of day in this instance) His poop went to yellow with seeds about 4 hours after his formula supplement.Could be a coincidence, but I don't think so.However, it makes him not nap all day. He appears uncomfortable.
    I will continue to pump and will eventually switch to his supplements being breast milk instead of formula.