Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 mo old losing weight

Default 7 mo old losing weight

Its been a week since my travel to India with my 7mo old. She has lost some weight ( I can say because all her clothes are not fitting the same as it used to. Cheeks are not as chubby..). She was very tired the first few days and is still not back to her normal self. Plus the weather here is hot. I had to make a trip to ped since she was skipping meals and sleeping a lot. When we weighed her there she had lost weight since her last weight check. I am still BF her on demand. I feed her solids 3 times a day (oats cereal+ fruit for breakfast, rice+lentils for lunch, rice cereal with veggies for dinner). She does not take much. I give her whatever she takes.
    1. When should I really worry about her losing weight?How much can she lose without affecting her growth.
    2. If I BF her more is it better than giving her solids?Will it help her put the weight back on? (This might be a challenge here considering the interferance from ignorant family members about BF)
    3. Should I be not worried and just look at her behavior? She is active when she is up. Smiling, grabbing things, trying to sit, crawling etc..

PS : I had posted sometime back that she does not sleep well and does not go for more than 2-3 hrs at nite..boy now she wants to sleep all the time. I blame it on the weather..:-). I nurse her 1-2 times during the nite.

Default Re: 7 mo old losing weight

BM is more dense calorie-wise than solids, so that will help her put the weight back on more effectively. I'd possibly cut back on the solids...I know my ped suggested 1-2 meals a day at 6 months, and to work up to 3 by 9 months, so I don't plan to move up to 3 feedings until at least 8 months. How many times a day does she nurse? How many wet diapers?

HTH!

During the day may be 3-4 times and 2-3 times during the nite. I might have added another solid feeding too soon. I will cut back one solid feeding and nurse her more.

She has 3-4 wet diapers during the morning hours. After that it is not much(I guess from the solids and not much BM) May be 3-4 during the rest of the day.

Sleeping a lot sends up a red flag to me. Ilana did this when she wasn't getting enough to eat, she just had no energy to do anything. Is it possible she caught a bug while in India, something the ped might not know to look for? Mono would cause a very sleep, lethargic person. It sounds like she's probably nursing enough, so I would look into the illness theory personally. What about jet lag? I know I always had a hard time w/ that when we moved overseas and back, it really threw off my sleep pattern.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

I hope it is jet lag. I will look into the illness theory. She seems fine when she is up..active and all. Thanks!