Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO was overeating, now, hardly eating...

Question LO was overeating, now, hardly eating...

Well, since we went to the doc and he said he was overeating, he is now hardly eating at all. I started him on his reflux medicine (Ranitidine) and he seems to be doing good, as far as spitting up. But he still screams and cries when i go to bf him. And now he barely wants to nurse. When I first started him on the medicine he did start nursing a little less, now today, its A LOT less. He has nursed a total of 30 minutes today, and its 10:35am. Is this normal? I'm so confused, and it seems like everything i ty to do for him, doen't help at all. He is 2 1/2 months and I'm worried about him now...

Default Re: LO was overeating, now, hardly eating...

Its now 1pm, and I have got maybe another 10 minutes of feeding in for him...thats a total of 40 minutes all day long...I'm so confused.

How old is he? He may just be more efficient at nursing and not need to nurse for 40 minutes at a time!
    Sarah Wife to Michael Mommy to Austin and Steven and Tristyn 1/30/10!

DS just turned 12 weeks and this past week he has cut down on his AM feedings. My milk has leveled out with his demand and he is much more efficient. He'll eat around 7 AM, then a little before his late morning nap, a small amount after that nap, then not another real good feeding until 2-3 PM. This all occurred pretty quick, and it'll change again pretty soon. Don't worry - if they are hungry they'll let you know.

As far as the overeating thing, I don't think it's possible for a bf baby to overeat. If you are getting good diaper outputs, don't worry!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

He would nurse a lot before all this happened. I don't know if its his reflux medicine or not. But he hasn't nursed hardly at all, and to go from wanting to nurse all the time, but being fussy about it, then to go and not nurse hardly at all worries me.

Is his diaper output the same? When he nurses now, does he seem content? If you offer to nurse him before he "asks", what happens?

call your doctor also if your realy worried thats what they are around for!
    did you read the reflux page here at the web site?
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar03p12.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/ger.html

Other babies with reflux quickly learn that eating causes their pain and then promptly refuse to nurse. These babies may benefit from techniques such as expressing milk to get flowing before putting baby to breast, varying positioning, nursing while baby is sleeping, eliminating distractions, walking while nursing, a warm bath, skin contact, or infant massage. All these can be helpful.

this might help to:
    nursing strikes
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

His output seems ok, I mean of course its a lot less, because he isn't nursing as much, but he does have quite a few wet diapers. I just figure if he is going to change his habits that it would be gradual, but a friend of mine said it was right away that hers changed. Maybe I'm just overly worried...he's just my first baby that I stuck through with breastfeeding, and its something I want to do so so bad, and now that things are rough, it really scares me and makes me feel like I am failing. I really do appreciate the help, and words of encouragement! I am off to look at hose websites...thank you!