Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Long-term Fenugreek use

Default Long-term Fenugreek use

My daughter is 4 months old and I have been taking Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek since she was 3 weeks old. I have a fairly low supply and these have helped boost it a little. I sometimes go off of them for a few days and see a drop.

Can I take them the entire time I am breastfeeding - is it safe? I am taking 12 of each of them a day.

Thanks

Default Re: Long-term Fenugreek use

You could try slowly weaning down your dosage. That might give better results than stopping cold turkey.

HTH!

Default Re: Long-term Fenugreek use

As far as I know, fenugreek is very safe to take long-term- unless you are a diabetic, in which case you should use it only with great caution, as it can lower your blood sugar. Fenugreek is a common spice in Middle Eastern and Indian cuisine, and no-one in those regions seems to think twice about eating it.

As the PP said, if you're concerned about using fenugreek for so long, slowly tapering the amount you take should offset the impact. You could also try eating more oatmeal as you give up the fenugreek- oatmeal is good for you and your milk supply!