Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick LO, sore nipples, I am lost again...help

Question Sick LO, sore nipples, I am lost again...help

12 days ago dd2 (along with dd1 and ds) got a cold. It started with a runny nose, then a fever for 3 or 4 days, and is still left with a runny nose. I called the ped last week and they said she is still too young for meds. I was to do the cool mist humidifer (not sure how this will help) and keep cleaning out her nose. I do clean her nose out endlessly and I know green is bad (which it is yellowish green in the morning and clear all day).

She is not sleeping well, she is up and down all night and nursing (not just using me as a paci). I am lost at what I can do, my nipples hurt from feeding all day (mostly at night), is there anything I can do for her?

Should I bring her to the dr monday for having a runny nose for 2wks? I mean if I can not give her anything for a runny nose OTC what can a dr do?

She seems ok all day except at naps she wants to be held not put down (in her swing) and I can not hold her all day.

Thanks for any tips you might have.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Sick LO, sore nipples, I am lost again...help

Do you have a sling that you can wear her in?? Even if you don't have one you can make one out of a simple piece of cloth. It might be too much for you right now, but for future reference or if your feeling up to it - check out http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=63

Have you tried to drop some breast milk in her nose? That can help speed things in there and babies seem to like that much more than nose sucking or saline.

Hang in there mama - it sounds like your doing everything you can

I have an Ergo which is great, but does not help when I cook or do laundry.

I have heard about breastmilk up the nose. What do I do express a drop or two into her nose and not suck it up?

I'm having some of the same issues (i just check the post i put on here on thursday) I am doing some of the suggestions the mama's had (cool mist hum., saline & sucker, propped up when sleeping) I'm going to try the baby vicks and see if that helps... I wish they could just blow their nose

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I was told no vicks until they are 9months old.

Default Re: Sick LO, sore nipples, I am lost again...help UPDATE

I took dd2 to the dr today. After two wks of a runny nose and then turning a pretty yellow green look my dr said bring her in. The dr walked into the office look at dd2 face as I took her out of her stroller and she was like awww she is soo congested(sp). If it was any other dr I would have just cried. I looked at the dr and said I feel like an idiot. She said no she would have had me wait the two wks to see what came of it since the fever was at the beginning of the cold and never came back.

So, dd2 is on an rx and I just need to watch out for a fever if it come back or if her nose does not improve to bring her back mon or tuesday for a recheck or a stronger rx depending on what happens.

I just what dd2 to go back to sleeping well. The poor thing got 5hrs of sleep in 24hrs....she is sooooo tired.

Default Re: Sick LO, sore nipples, I am lost again...help UPDATE

Poor baby... and know the secretions from overnight tend to make those mornings pretty nasty - if it doesn't stay that way all day, then it's on the good side of better
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hey mama how you feeling with the ms?

Yes, I have the morning nose cleaning. I have all I can do to not puke. The dr was very pleased to see her ears and lungs were clean and her throat looked great. She said it may be just now turning into an infection.

So what meds did he give her if there's no fever now?

(still taking it day by day - today was bad but the days before were good - - thanks )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

amoxicillin(sp) something basic to help fight a basic infection. She gave it to dd1 once before when she was young and ran a fever of 99 -100 for two weeks and never got a cold or any worse just sat there. Gave her the rx and was better in a week.