Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing BM supply

Unhappy Increasing BM supply

Hello,
    I need help with increasing my BM supply. My DD is 8 weeks old and she is exclusively bf except for few bottles of bm a week (never formula). She pretty much nurses through the first let down on the first breast - after that she would either fall asleep at the breast or start screaming and pulling off when the bm flow slows down. She rarely nurses well on the second breast - usually only early in the morning. I have struggled for weeks to either keep her awake or calm her down so she can nurse for at least 10 minites total. I thought increasing my milk supply might help her nurse better. I started taking fenugreek, vitamin B complex, and brewer's yeast but honestly I haven't seen a change in my BMS except that I smell like maple syrup. I rented a hospital grade BP but when I am using it after the first morning feeding my breasts feel totally empty for most of the day and I am afraid I wont' make enough milk for DD to eat.
    Also I am returning to work in 3 weeks so I wanted to have some BM stored in advance.
    If I continue to use the breast pump how long before I see an increase in my BM supply? Also how often should I pump during the day?
    DD eats 8 times a day and sleeps usually between 9pm and 3 am and then wakes up for 6 am feeding. She is also gaining well.
    Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Thanks,
    Borislava

Default Re: Increasing BM supply

Pretty much the same here!!! My girl is gaining well and nurses approx the same as 8 times a day. But i dont seem to be able to pump much and for the last 2 days my supply seems to have gone downhill. Pls help.

Hello,
    It sounds like you are very concerned about your supply and dd.

It may be more helpful for you to speak with someone in person, if at all possible. We can certainly try to give you some info here, but it may be difficult to do online. Do you know if you have an LLLL in your area? Or an IBCLC? Here is how to find a Leader:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Did you have the chance to read the articles and FAQ's posted at the top of the forum? These may help as well.

If you don't find what you need in the above articles, let us know, and we'll try to give you some more info!

Thank you very much for your responses!
    I am doing much better now - I think when there is something wrong with the baby(like fussying at the breast and being fussy in general) the first thing most women (including myself) consider is that the milk supply is low which is not necessarily true.
    What I did is I breastfed and pumped after most feedings for one day and now continue to pump after 2-3 feedings every day if my breasts do not feel soft. Now I am able to pump 5-6 oz at once(much better than before).
    Also it came out dd is fussy at the breast is because she has a reflux and is alergic to something in my food (cow's milk probably).

Glad to hear things are going better for you!

Keep up the great job!