Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should a 8.5 month old nurse?

Default How often should a 8.5 month old nurse?

DD has decreased her nursing sessions from 6-7 a month ago to 4-5 max. And, two of those aren't full sessions.

This is okay, right? Par for the course?

Her appetite for food has really jumped in the past 2 weeks and she is eating a lot more since mastering the pincer grasp.

Anyway, just looking for a little reassurance!

Thanks.

Default Re: How often should a 8.5 month old nurse?

I think that's pretty normal. My son (8 mo) is still nursing about 6 times/day yet, however they are not all a full nurse anymore either. He almost seems a little annoyed nursing at times. He has been more interested in solid food too. Just go with it.

Do you nurse her first before offering solids? I was reading on kellymom that it's the best way to keep up supply while introducing solid foods.

Here's the link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ml#beforeafter
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by NaturallyBaby View Post
    DD has decreased her nursing sessions from 6-7 a month ago to 4-5 max. And, two of those aren't full sessions.

This is okay, right? Par for the course?

Her appetite for food has really jumped in the past 2 weeks and she is eating a lot more since mastering the pincer grasp.

Anyway, just looking for a little reassurance!

Thanks.
    Thats probably fine just try to make sure he is nursing as much as he will. That is quite a big drop in nursing sessions. My 10 month old went from 8-9 feedings a day to 7-8 feedings still at 10 months. She is to busy to come ask for it though so every 2-2.5 hours I offer and she will nurse even its is not a full feeding. Its hard to keep them interested at this stage. Sometimes when giving her solids I don't feed her until full.. I just give her some food and then take her our of the highchair.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I do offer before and after naps, and solids are given halfway between. She often doesn't want to nurse other than before her naps though.

I guess I'll just have to go with it!

My 8 month old cut back her nursing frequency as her solids increased. I have no idea how many times she was nursing each day, nor how many she is now.

I nurse on cue and she eats solids in between, so I don't worry about timing the nursings before the solids b/c ultimately she will be getting breastmilk before and after all solids. Just follow her lead.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My 8 month old nurses abt 6 times a day. He will nurse only for abt 4 minutes each time during the day. Before bed and early morning are the only two I can get him to nurse for longer than 10 minutes. So compared to me, your baby sounds pretty similar.
    Erin
    <a href=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/sherllie/KateandOwenthumbnail.jpg target=_blank>http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nthumbnail.jpg</a>