Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can one day change supply?

Question Can one day change supply? Help???

Yesterday my son had a sleepy day and went twice for two hours without eating and once during the day for 3 hours. Then he gave me about a 2 1/2 hour stretch at night.. This is very unusual for him but I just figured he was sleepy. Well this morning when he was eating I was full of milk. Tonight, however, I feel very empty and he is very fussy during feedings and is eating very often-I'm guessing because there's not much. Could this be a growth spurt or could his one day of less frequent eating have made my supply drop?
    (He is almost 5 weeks old and I can only feed from one breast because of a previous surgery)
    Last edited by Mirandagrate; April 9th, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Unhappy Re: Can one day change supply?

Well, he's been attached to me for 6 hours and still fusses.. when he falls asleep and my nipple falls out of his mouth I'll try manually expressing some to see if any comes out and there's not much there.. is it just that he's drinking everything in me? I'm soo confused.. I thought everything was going great and now today I've just felt empty all day long... He fussed and fussed this last time that I finally gave him about 3/4 oz of formula... I haven't had to supplement for a few weeks now.. I don't want to have to start again... what do I do???
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Default Re: Can one day change supply?

i'm so discouraged and worrieed right now... he just screams every few sucks (not arching or anything like refl;ux-went through that with my daughter) but he's just acting like he's not getting anything... i just want this to work but i don't want him to be hungry... he seems like he gets tired during feeds...like he's tired from sucking and not getting much so he'll suck for a while and sleep 5-15 minutes and start all over again.. he's been doing thius since around 3.. i've been doing compressions trying to get more to come.. it's not helping.. anyone have advice?

Definitely sounds like a growth spurt! My LO just woke up but I will be back with some links for you.

In the mean time, keep nursing as often as possible. And try to relax! Your body was designed to deal with these things. Don't lose faith in yourself.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I'm still really empty feeling... don't know what to do.. I hope this starts to get better soon... I feel so inadequate right now!

It sounds like your really worried and feel like your not giving your son enough milk.

It's normal around this time for your supply to even out and for you to not feel so full. My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?

This could also be coupled with a growth spurt! The fussy evenings and pulling at the breast are symptoms of that. My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

Let us know what you think mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

it does sound like a growth spurt... i am worried that when i try to manually express some (when he pulls off) that not much comes out when on tuesday tons would pour out... i know he's more efficient than i am or a pump... i guess i'm just really quick to worry.. i always wonder if i'll make enough for him with only one breast... i'm also worried because he just seems to suck for a few minutes and then fall asleep.. even when I wake him up he does the same thing.. is he tired from not getting enough milk or tired from growing??? Ugh.. I wish I could see how much he was getting, lol.. I'm gonna start a diaper count to see what his output is... usually he has about 6-10 poopy diapers a day and they are always wet.. so I guess I'll see what today brings.. I think I'm going to have to cancel some things today!

Don't stress. This sounds like a growth spurt to me (although I'm no expert )!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

i am worried that when i try to manually express some (when he pulls off) that not much comes out when on tuesday tons would pour out...
    This could be a today thing, or a this morning thing, or even a temporary dip in supply thing. You've got the right idea, keep nursing If your supply has gone down any, that's the best way to bring it up.

i always wonder if i'll make enough for him with only one breast...
    I can understand your concern mama, keep an eye on those diapers and your baby

i'm also worried because he just seems to suck for a few minutes and then fall asleep.. even when I wake him up he does the same thing.. is he tired from not getting enough milk or tired from growing???
    You could try breast compressions or massage to keep him interested at the breast. The falling asleep could just be tired from growing. Tired from not getting enough milk would be a listless baby, who's skin stays pinched when you pinch it, and is unresponsive and often not even crying.

Ugh.. I wish I could see how much he was getting, lol..
    You can! And you already know the answer.. diaper count!
    Even when you feed a baby a bottle, and can see the oz - how do you know it's enough? Because he stops - trust your baby, not the oz

I'm gonna start a diaper count to see what his output is... usually he has about 6-10 poopy diapers a day and they are always wet.. so I guess I'll see what today brings.. I think I'm going to have to cancel some things today
    This sounds like a great idea, a nursing vacation is always a good plan.
    Your doing great mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Sorry I could not type again until this morning. Sounds like you've gotten some useful information and support! Remember to rest when you can and drink plenty of water!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.