Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Couple questions.

Default Couple questions.

1. DD is 9 1/2 weeks old and she only poops every other day or every couple days. Is this normal? She's exclusivly BFing so I thought she would have more poopy diapers. Her wet diapers is fine!

2. She seems to want to suck on her fingers so bad, she shoves about 8 in her mouth at a time, and ends up gaging herself. Is this normal? She only sucks on the fingers AFTER she nurses? Is she still hungry or just wants to suck still. I nurse her on both breasts for a total of 30 mins. She doesnt seem hungry, but she is a sucking away on her fingers.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Couple questions.

It's my understanding that BFed babies sometimes take DAYS to do a dirty diaper. They absorb so much of the milk's nutrients, there just isn't that much waste to expel. I know my LO, before she started solids, only did a few a week although that wasn't the case at first. But she definitely slowed down her production around 2 months old.

As for the fingers, do you stop the nursing after 30 minutes? Do you watch the clock? Generally, you should watch the baby instead and see how much s/he (can't remember if you have a boy or girl) wants to feed and just feed on demand.

Best of luck!

1. DD is 9 1/2 weeks old and she only poops every other day or every couple days. Is this normal? She's exclusivly BFing so I thought she would have more poopy diapers. Her wet diapers is fine!

Yep - well within the typical range Read more about poop issues here

2. She seems to want to suck on her fingers so bad, she shoves about 8 in her mouth at a time, and ends up gaging herself. Is this normal? She only sucks on the fingers AFTER she nurses? Is she still hungry or just wants to suck still. I nurse her on both breasts for a total of 30 mins. She doesnt seem hungry, but she is a sucking away on her fingers.

Yep - again typical for this age. I have pic of my youngest doing just that and it was hilarious. If she doesn't seem hungry, it is a typical thing... especailly if sh'es really concentrating on it... kwim? Her diaper count (which I see you already have down) is the best indicator of getting enough so if those are fine, she's just exploring her new world

Here is a quote from this page you might find helpful

"My baby frequently sucks on his hands. Does this always mean that he's hungry?"
    After the newborn period, hand sucking is not as reliable an indicator of hunger. Starting at around 6-8 weeks, baby will begin to gain more control over his hands and will soon begin to explore his hands and everything else using his mouth. It is also common for babies to suck on their hands when their gums become tender in preparation for tooth eruption. Symptoms of teething can sometimes occur weeks and even months before the first tooth erupts.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

No i dont watch the clock..she comes off on her own, or I take her off when she is just sucking and not swallowing after a couple mins..
    other then that, she nurses as long as she is hungry which again is about 20-30 mins.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*