Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard and painful poops, but consistently happening 1-2 times per day...

Default hard and painful poops, but consistently happening 1-2 times per day...

Do I worry abt this since it doesn't seem he's constipated? He's 8 months old and eating 2 solid meals per day and bfing 6 times a day. Thanks!
    Erin
    <a href=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/sherllie/KateandOwenthumbnail.jpg target=_blank>http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nthumbnail.jpg</a>

Default Re: hard and painful poops, but consistently happening 1-2 times per day...

I wouldn't *worry* per se, but (because hard = constipation) I would cut back on the solids for a spell and slowly intro back in later. What is he getting?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: hard and painful poops, but consistently happening 1-2 times per day...

So far he eats a total of 3-4 oz of veg/fruit/cereal/bm at each of 2 meals. The list of his foods are:
    squash, carrots, sweet pots, gr beans, gr peas, zucchini, applesauce, avocado, banana, pears, cheerios, and some sort of organic teddy bear cereal bites.

His poops are usually formed into balls, abt the diameter of a quarter. And then less often they can be smaller or at times they are big like a childs, but still very formed. They are very dark in color, almost black. He cries out quite loud when he is pushing and then cried for a time afterward. Poor guy.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by sherllie; April 12th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Erin
    <a href=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/sherllie/KateandOwenthumbnail.jpg target=_blank>http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nthumbnail.jpg</a>

Maybe take out the bananas for a few days and see what happens? Also, is he getting any other liquid?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Maybe try keeping all those foods but split them up into 3 or 4 meals to put less strain on his digestive system. Give him less to digest at once.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

is he on iron (vitamin drops) the black and hardness could be related to that.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

No other liquids really. I give him a sippy of water with each meal, but he hasn't gotten the hang of it yet. I do give him sips of my water in a glass sometimes, but he's not totally interested in that.

No, neither of us are taking iron drops or supps. I just take a normal prenatal vitamin, calcium, dha supp, and an occasional vitamin C.

I think I will stop with the cereal. I just use it to thicken up his food a bit bc he seems to like bigger bites. And also take a banana break. Separating his meals into smaller ones is a good thought too.

Thanks.
    Erin

You could also introduce peaches and plums/prunes (one at a time of course).

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

definately stop the cereal esp if its iron fortified. I give my lo regular adult oatmeal... I cut up dried prunes into pea sized pieces and throw it in the oatmeal and add some water. I let it soak for a bit and then microwave it and the prunes get all soft and mushy... this helps if she has constipation.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Hard balls is constipation.

Could you cut back on the quantity of the solids for a little while and nurse more frequently? This will give his digestive system to catch up.