Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why do they call first foods "weaning foods?"

Default Why do they call first foods "weaning foods?"

I have seen this phrase used several different places now... one of them was a "First Meals" cookbook I bought, and (ignoring the fact that it said weaning should begin at 6 months) they refer to the first foods as "weaning foods..." Does anyone know why this is? I also saw this phrase used on the wholesomebabyfood.com website...

Oh, and that cookbook I was talking about called the first bowl a "weaning bowl" and the first spoon a "weaning spoon..." I really found it strange that they used that term so much...

Thanks,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: Why do they call first foods "weaning foods?"

Technically, as soon as you give solid foods the weaning process has begun. It doesn't necessarily mean you will stop nursing. It's just a matter of terminology I guess.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My guess is that its from the British English where starting solids is referred to as "weaning".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

The dictionary definition of weaning is to teach one to receive nourishment from sources other than nursing. So technically once you start solids you are in the process of weaning. Whether the process takes a month or 2 years or more is up to you and baby. Calling foods or bowls weaning foods is kinda a poor choice of words IMO.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Another poster said that in the UK they say "weaning" the way the US says "starting solids." I think we (in the states) think of weaning as the final step of stopping BFing.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Smile Re: Why do they call first foods "weaning foods?"

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    Another poster said that in the UK they say "weaning" the way the US says "starting solids." I think we (in the states) think of weaning as the final step of stopping BFing.
    I agree. However, I tell my husband we are "weaning" becuase he want it more than I do. I weaned from the pump but I still nurse in the morning, after work and before she goes to bed. So, I guess I just weaned the pump!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Ok, thanks mamas! That makes sense... I was starting to get a little offended that so many things I was reading said weaning should begin at 6 months... but if it's just referring to starting solids then it's not a big deal... I agree, it sounds like a terminology thing, especially since we don't plan on weaning from BFing for a long time!! Although I agree with the pp... I can't WAIT to wean from my pump Not sure when that will happen, though...

Thanks!!
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.