Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nursing strike

Default Re: nursing strike

Here is a resource that may offer even more advice/support
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Sometimes it helps to get a baby back to the breast if they don't have any other sucking outlets available (pacifier or bottles). We used a small feeding cup occassionally during strikes with good success. (Might be a bit easier than bottles.) During nap time, have you tried nursing her right after she falls asleep? This helped us through. Keep at it! There's no reason to go to formula. Even if she won't nurse during the day and you have to pump, she's still getting the good stuff from you and that's huge! Hang in there! Strikes are so rough on mommas!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Yesterday was not a HUGE sucess but there was a tiny improvement. She took the breast on her X2, but afterwards she went back to pushing away and turning her face. I've read the article which was recommended. I tried the sippy cup but also no success. She will get very frustrated which made me more upset and helpless. I gave her yesterday x2 a 4oz bottle with nipple size 1. I know it is not recommended but I had no other choice. Am I making it worse with the bottle??? I read a comment posted in BabyCenter which a mom will give a bottle and tricked her child with the breast. That is why I gave her the bottle in hope of her story. I continued to breastfeed her while she is asleep. I just dont understand why she takes it well when she is asleep and goes crazy when she is not.

Today is another day. I will continue to pray and read all your supporting emails. Hopefully this will come to an end soon. I have been pumping which is making my nipples very sore. I have been applying lanolin on them. I dont know how much longer I can last. I return to work in 2 weeks and I think to myself "Is she getting her self ready for the transtion?" She will be getting bottles. What is the use of me trying to get her on the breast when within this two weeks I will be having the sitter come over to be introduced to her and offer her bottles. This will be making this strike worse, right?

I want to thank all of you for your support in this frustrating time of my life. With God and your support I hope I get through this.

Have you tried a small, open cup (like the kind you give kids medicine in) instead of the sippy? That's great that she took the breast a couple of times yesterday! Sometimes they come out of strikes slowly. I see you posted this in too much milk. Have you been struggling with OALD/oversupply? Is she possibly frustrated with this and that is what caused the strike? If so, that might explain her being okay with nursing while asleep. Babies who struggle with OALD often do better at night when more relaxed.

Pumping shouldn't be making you so sore. What kind of pump are you using? You might need to back off on the suction. Sometimes the flanges are the wrong size for your nipples and this can also cause pain. Since you are returning to work (and I assume will be pumping) this would be something good to get figured out.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

today has been a disaster. She has now refused to take my breast while asleep. I feel we are going backwards. I have left messages for leaders around my area but i have yet to hear from them. today, has been emotional because i had hope since yesterday she took the breast x2 (for about 5min). i am totally frustrated . i just want to give up but i promised myself to be strong but i feel so helpless. everytime its time to offer the breast i become anxious and pray to God for a miracle and when it doesnt happen my heart sharters......sorry for such negativity but today has been a roller coaster for me. i've done all the suggestions that i've read in articles as well as stories but none seem to work (bathing together, skin to skin, sling, coaxing the breast to her and speaking to her gently,etc....) we are now in our 5th day and it is mentally exhausting. ..........

i have the medella pump.

You're doing everything that you can! If you have to pump and use a bottle then so be it- like you said you're going back to work and she will have to take bottles then anyways this is like practice for that time.

Keep offering the breast to her with a nonchalant attitude and she WILL take it again.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

today she took the breast on her own for about 30 seconds. i believe the carrier had alot to do with it. she was in it for most of the afternoon. you know she will be there tomorrow. lol.

tonight i went to a LLL meeting which disappointmented me alot. the leader who invited me knew i was going for support and guideance which is the least i received. i felt that my issue was ignored as well as myself. I FEEL BOTH LEADER took a nonchalant kind of attitude. i left there very frustrated for wasting my time and disappointmented with the program!

in the bright side i have an appointment scheduled with a LLL lactation counsaltant which i have been speaking with since last friday. she has been a great rock of support and encouragement. hopefully her determination as well as her expertise and knowledge will finally get me off this ride. i know the key is "patience" with this situation but i guess it wont hurt to see a professional. i am desparate.

I WANT TO THANK EACH PERSON WHO HAS POSTED IN THIS THREAD AND HAS GIVEN ME THEIR SUPPORT, ENCOURAGEMENT, AND ADVICE. I COULD NOT BE DOING THIS WITHOUT YOU! THANK THANK THANK YOUUUUUUU

Moving this thread to Breastfeeding Your Infant for more replies.

I'm sorry you had a less-than-positive experience at the LLL meeting you attended. I hope your appointment with the LLL leader you have been speaking to on the phone goes well.

Tiana

Hang in there! I know exactly how you feel. My LO went on strike at 2 months of age in a very similar fashion to yours--he would just scream when he even saw the breast but would nurse fairly well when sleepy. I cried and cried and left tearful voice messages with lactation consultants all over town. It was a slow process for us. (For most people, I gather, nursing strikes last a week or so). Every situation is different but for us, wearing him in the sling just hanging out by the breast helped. Eventually he latched on briefly and things started improving from then.

Don't give up hope. Even if it lasts longer than a week, it can improve. I went through an unusually long nursing strike during which I pumped and gave him a bottle most of the time (he would nurse at night and when sleepy). After a couple of months of gently offering but backing off, he just gradually came out of it. Now, at nearly a year old, he nurses just fine as long as he's not too distracted.

Anyway, I know how frustrating it can be to keep trying with no success. Try to be patient if you can and just back off when it's not working.

Best of luck!

since you need to do other task during the day you might invest in a sling if you don't have one. It will keep her nice and close to the milk supply. It's hard to have one so young go on strike. My first thoughts were something new/changed... the foods you eat, soaps, etc like the pp mentioned. Have you had any luck getting ahold of a LC? Do you have a slow or fast let down? When she pulls off does she cry like she wants to suck? Have you checked her mouth to make sure she doesn't have thrush or anything that could cause her discomfort? Sorry so many ?'s just trying to put thoughts in your mind.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work