Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HArdly feeds at night

Default HArdly feeds at night

Hi
    This is regarding our 7 week son.born 10 days early.weight gain fine so far.he had initial latching issues.now is back to breats feeding.
    This is regarding his feedig pattern:
    He nurses about every 2 hours or less during day
    at nights it is 2-3 hours but he hardly nurses fo rmore tahn 2-3 minutes-thats a concern for me again
    Why is it so.anything wrong with this?isnt he hungry i feel.
    any tips aprpeicated
    tahnks!

Default Re: HArdly feeds at night

"Watch the baby, not the clock"

As long as your baby is continuing to gain weight (about 5-7 oz/week) and is having at least 6-8 wet diapers per 24 hour period (at 7 weeks old you needn't be too concerned about how many stools baby has per day because sometimes they can go several days between stools), then you can rest easy that he's getting what he needs. Some babies are just really efficient too so they get what they need in just a few minutes at the breast.

By following baby's cues and allowing him free access to the breast, you really can't go wrong!

You're doing great!

Thanks a lot
    I am not sure if he is having 8 wets.may be close to that but lesser
    his weight gain so far has been fine. we are taking him to peds today
    will see how his weight is

Thanks again!

At first I was so worried about weight gain that I woke my son uo every 3 hours to eat - it wasn't working and I ended up sitting up for an hour trying to convince him to eat. When I relaxed and let him decide when it was time to eat, things just gelled - he eats for only about 5 minutes at a time at night, but he's efficient, happy, and gaining well. Don't worry as long as your baby is doing the same! Good luck