Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does he really need to eat veggies?

Default Does he really need to eat veggies?

So long as he eats fruits? He is 15 mo. Lately, he's eaten pretty much NO veggies at all. Thing is, he loves most fruit that we offer him. The only veggie he'll eat is potato.

He'll eat tomato sauce, green and red peppers (so long as they're cooked soft, not crunchy), avacado (so long as it's blended with banana and yogurt), and sometimes raisans or blueberries depending on his mood. He loves grapes, bananas, apples, blackberries, and grapefruit, and prunes.

He eats plenty of grains (including whole grains), meat, and he loves cheese and yogurt. He is still bf.

So, is this ok? I really don't have the energy to try to trick him into eating any veggies. He used to like squash, sweet potato, and carrots, but maybe now since they're not pureed, he decided he doesn't like them? :P

I've had people suggest that I give him vitamins...but I just don't see the point, since he is eating all those fruits and also still bf. What do you think?

Default Re: Does he really need to eat veggies?

My oldest dd was the same way. I could get her to eat just about anything when it was pureed, but as she got older she stopped eating as many veggies, maybe because of the texture. I hate that she doesn't eat many veggies, although I can usually get her to eat green beans and peas most of the time. She does love fruit though, I guess because it is sweet. It sounds like your son is still eating pretty well, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. I have thought about trying to get my oldest to eat some pureed veggies again if nothing else, since I'll be making baby food again for my youngest dd. Maybe it will work!

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    He used to like squash, sweet potato, and carrots, but maybe now since they're not pureed, he decided he doesn't like them? :P
    Will he eat the squash or sweet potatoes mashed up with a fork?

I would keep offering the veggies and make him take a bite or two. He'll come around eventually.

My 16 month dd is the same way. My best friend, who is a registerd dietician said that at this age, fruit is just as good as veggies as far as nutrional value.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilianesmom
    My best friend, who is a registerd dietician said that at this age, fruit is just as good as veggies as far as nutrional value.
    That's what I think, personally. I just don't belive there is any nutrition you can get from veggies that you can't also get from fruit. Of course, if I am wrong, I want to know that too! lol The problem we are finding with fruit is that we don't always have a lot in the house, since it tends to be more expensive.

Last night we ordered Japaniese food, and he ate some of the tempura (deep fried veggies, fruit, fish); he ate carrot and squash (squash, of course, being technically a fruit). He didn't want the batter, though, just the stuff inside! lol I think part of our problem is he is bored with the "same old stuff" all the time. I think it will help if we try new ways to prepare veggies.

One thing to consider nutritionally is what fruits you're feeding your LO. If you sub the right fruits in, he'll get all the nutritional values he's missing with the veggie embargo. The USDA website and the Nutritional Data website both have good info on this.

When I was a kid, my dad always made us take at least one bite of everything that was prepared for the meal and now we all like pretty much everything. Of course, if that's a battle you want to pursue is up to you