Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know when to stop block-feeding?

Default How do you know when to stop block-feeding?

This is my third day block-feeding and my baby's stools are still varying from greenish-yellow to greenish (with only one yellow poo yesterday). When should this start to improve?

It seems the gas/cramping isn't as bad, and the letdown isn't as forceful (however he has broken the latch a couple of times to catch his breath - but nothing like before). He's burping better, but still spiting up about 20 minutes after a feed.

My biggest concern is the colour of the stool. When should I get worried? Should I give block-feeding another day or few days? What's normal?

Default Re: How do you know when to stop block-feeding?

how old is baby?
    lots of moms block feed for months.....
    When it's working for baby it could take a week or more for beter poops.

baby is 3 weeks old.

months? wow, shows how little I know, lol. Thanks for your reply!

I needed to block-feed for 6-8 months. Give it a little more time.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

We still block feed and have no plans to change as long as baby seems full and happy.

What is block feeding?

We still block feed. Started around 3 mo and DS is 22 mo now So yeah, it might be something you have to do for months. If you are noticing a change in the color of the dipe it is working so *I'd* stick with what you're doing for a week or so more, see if it changed even more and alter it a little if they're still really green... but remember even a little greenish is okay (as long as baby doesn't have a virus, which I doubt is the case )

For the above poster... Block feeding...

If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.
    Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
    As found on this page
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

What is block feeding??