Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight Gain-Worried!

Default Weight Gain-Worried!

My little one is 8.5 weeks old, and I have a concern regarding feeding patterns/weight gain. Through the night, she is textbook-feeding every2-2.5 hours and settling back nicely to sleep. Morning feeds are also great-calm at the breast and settling nicely for naps. Unfortunately, since birth, she's had this "fussy period" that started out in the evening hours, and has now extended into the early afternoon, and begins generally around 1pm. She will latch on, feed well for 5 minutes or so, pull off, fuss, want back on the breast and repeat this behavior over and over. I've tried breast compressions, switching sides, different positions, swaddling, etc. Normally, I would assume that perhaps she's just an efficient eater. The issue though, is when she comes off the breast, she's eating her fists, smacking and is generally unsettled (obviously wanting more). When I offer the breast again, the behavior continues. She'll only nap for 20-30 minutes during daytime here and there which is also indicating to me that she is not satisfied. Her wet/dirty diapers are great, but she's not gaining at a great rate (birth weight was 8lbs 5.5 ozs, down to 7lbs 8ozs at one week of age, and now is up to 10 lbs even). I have been following with my breastfeeding clinic at hospital, but am feeling really discouraged b/c I can't figure out how to satisfy her. I have been pumping at least 1-2 times a day (wondering if maybe it was a supply issue), and giving her one pumped bottle at bedtime (to reduce the pain of the constant pulling on/off of the nipples-I've had no nipple trauma so far though). Today the nurse suggested fenugreek, as (through process of elimination), the thinking is that maybe the milk isn't coming fast enough for her in this "fussy" time. Any help would be much appreciated.

PS-Breastfed my first daughter with no problems-this is stressing me out (which isn't helping either!!!)

Default Re: Weight Gain-Worried!

It is so unsettling when baby fusses at the breast, and there doesn't seem to be a logical reason why. Please read this page and see if anything rings a bell for you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

The diapers sound good. It looks like your baby has gained an average of 5 oz per week--which is on the lower end of the spectrum, but still good. Is your baby growing in length and head circumference?

Default Re: Weight Gain-Worried!

Thanks for the input-yes, she is growing in length (one inch at her 4 week check up-in the 90% percentile, and head circumference was 37.3cm-up from 35.8 at birth). Taking her this week for her 8 week check up, so we'll see how she's measuring. The article gave me a few things to think about-only thing I'm wondering is perhaps about the "gas" issue. She passes gas quite forcefully when she does, but that's really the only thing I notice. I'm worried that the suggestion will be made to supplement with formula (which I really don't want to do), as she is not up to speed weight-wise. On the other hand too, I don't want my babe to be unsettled with her hunger...