Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think she is weaning?

Default I think she is weaning?

I have very mixed emotions about my daughter starting to wean. She 14 1/2 months and my goal was a year or more so I made it. After she hit one I found this wonderful group of women and continued to find out more about how great nursing could be. A week and 2 days ago my husband and I spend the night at a local hotel that I had a conference at for work and then my kids spent the night with nana and papa and met us the next day to play at the hotels water park. On the night we left Trudie still was getting up several times a night so I was nervous how things would go for my poor mom. Well she ended up refusing the 11pm bottle and then woke a few more times during the night, cried for a few minutes then went back to sleep on her own, please don't be critical of CIO, she was okay really. After we got home the next night I decided to try nana's sleep training method, and let her cry for a few minutes (NOT USUALLY MORE THAN 5 AND NEVER MORE THAN 10) and sure enough back to sleep on her own. We really needed this new sleep routine but I do miss how cute she looked next to me for those late night nursing sessions. After a couple of nights she is now sleeping for about 8-10 hours and then maybe another 1 1/2 after the milk. She has starting asking for more milk in her sippy cup and less mama milk from the tap and I try to go with whatever she requests. Also in the past week she has had an ear infection, and had tubes placed this past tuesday. In addition I have had my period for 9 days in a row and feel that my supply is rapidly dwindling. I feel like I want to be done obsessing over whether or not I am making enough and I am trying to accept whatever we can do is better than none. I am happy that she is initiating the cup and I am not forcing it on her but it still makes me sad to think my baby is turning into a big girl. Just a side note, her new favorite thing to do while nursing is to stop look at me hold out her cute tiny little hand and say "five" or "high five" then sign and say "milk" and get back to business. She is so cute when she is nursing and wrinkles her nose and smiles. I will never forget that. I hope more than anything that both my girls grow up healthy and get to know the joy of nursing their children if and when they decide to be mommys.

Default Re: I think she is weaning?

It sounds like she still enjoys nursing very much. Maybe things really slowed down because of the tube surgery, your trip, etc.

I agree with PP. I would keep trying and maybe cut back on sippy, introduce straw or regular cup and see if that helps.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Well In think her molars are bothering her because she is back to keeping me up at night. She still like to nurse but we need to use a cup too because my supply is very low. I am still pumping but I only get 1/2 ounce on each side per session. I still do it though cause I feel when I try to stop then my supply with her is even lower. I am so glad I found this group.

Hi Trudiesmama! Have you made it back to LLL meetings? I agree with pp, I really don't think she is weaning. Even if she cuts back, it sounds like she still enjoys nursing.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK