Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive letdown or something else?? help!

Question Overactive letdown or something else?? help!

I tried posting this in another area but got no replies...I need some help reading my baby!!

I was wondering if it's possible to have OALD only in the 2nd or 3rd letdowns but not with the first??? My LO will trigger the first letdown and eat just fine for about 3-10 minutes, and then he will begin to pop on and off, sometimes with gulping noises, but act like he still wants to nurse? Sometimes he cries or fusses after popping on and then popping off again right away, with barely a suck in between.

My milk doesn't spray out on it's own upon letdown. My breasts don't leak at all (I know, this is a good thing, right? ), so the only time I see a spray is if I compress my breasts. Then I will get a spray of 1-2 feet! If this happens on the initial letdown, I don't know why my LO will tolerate it at first and then start popping on and off.

The popping on and off and gulping sound like OALD, but I thought that it would be worse on the first letdown, as my breasts are fuller. I have been trying switch feeding, but I am afraid of my DS not getting enough hindmilk. I don't think I have OS because I don't have a huge pumping output, and I don't often get engorged or plugged ducts.

He is distractible, but he also sometimes does this pop on and off behavior in a dark, boring setting, or before bed. I have tried the laying back position, but he isn't able to do it very well. Could it be he is just not hungry after 5-10 minutes, even though he kind of acts like he still wants to nurse?? He doesn't seem like THAT efficient of a nurser. It's very hard to read my LO sometimes. I don't want to "overfeed" him. I know you can't really overfeed a BF baby, but sometimes after this whole routine, he will spit up a bunch, and he's not one to spit up with every feeding, so I don't think it's reflux. I just don't want to develop bad overeating habits!

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am stumped.

Cool Re: Overactive letdown or something else?? help!

How old is ur LO?

Is he gulping, sputtering, coughing during all of your let downs, or just the 2nd and third. I would assume that it is possible to have OALD on a couple of them, especially if he's been sucking vigorously to trigger them...

How many wet/dirty diapers?'

I'm not real sure of an answer yet, but I will tell you that it may seem like a lot when he spits up, it really isn't. It's mostly a little milk mixed with mucous, spit, and some digestive juices.
    Last edited by milk_milk; April 11th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987