Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting And Laughing About It!!!!

Default Biting And Laughing About It!!!!

LO is now 8 months old. She is biting me - I say "NO!" and take her off the breast, but she just sits there and laughs about it. This morning, she bit and left teeth marks in my nipple. I took her off and completely skipped her morning feeding because I know she's just going to bite again and again. I'm in so much pain, I feel like I should just wean her - I feel like crying, please help!!!

Default Re: Biting And Laughing About It!!!!

I've been trying the same, it just seems like she doesn't get it. I'm also running into an issue towards the end of a feeding. It seems as though her way to tell me she's done is to take a huge chomp. She's killing me!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html

When ds started biting me at about 6 mo, I just latched off and said "no bite" and then resumed feeding and it was fine. Now at 10 and a half months, that's not working.

What's changed is that instead of not reacting, I jump or say ouch and then say "no bite" and he does it again. It's the reaction they're going for. He smiles and thinks it's a game and I can see why. There are times when we're playing and he gets that kind of reaction from me and it's fun. So they just need to learn that at the breast is not the place to get that reaction from me due to biting.

Now he gets one chance. If he bites a second time, I tell him "no" firmly and put him down on the floor so that he knows that mommy will not tolerate it. After one minute, I let him try again. Biting has decreased dramatically since starting this new consequence.

A pp mentioned that this happens when lo is finished, and I find this to be our situation as well. I'm fine with him camping out. He likes to just hang out and play and I'm all for that. He just has to learn through gentle discipline that this is not a chew toy. We learn through our mistakes and unfortunately, our pain is where that lesson comes in.
    Last edited by mommamags; April 11th, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Me too! DD is 9 months and it has been going on for a couple of months. she doesn't have any teeth, but it still hurts. When my older daughter did it the first time, I screamed and she started crying. That was all it took, she really didn't do it again. With DD#2-- she is just a little stinker-- she just laughs!!