Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NOT pumping and NOT pumping enough milk

Question NOT pumping and NOT pumping enough milk

Question 1 - Are there any moms working full time and not pumping and/or nursing baby while working?
    how are you keeping your supply going? what's your routine?

Question 2 - If you are pumping, and your don't pump enough what do you do? Are you supplementing? Are you feeding more solids?

Thanks
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: NOT pumping and NOT pumping enough milk

Hi,
    I'm not working full time, but finding whatever ways I can to keep up my supply at home. Days home, I pump in the morning as long as I can, because I'm extra full. Even many days I work, I still pump in the morning to save 4-5 oz. of milk and then hand wash pump stuff and take it with me to use during the day (I pump 1x/day). Nights I have worked I'm extra full too, just from only 1 pumping session, so I will often pump an hour or two after the baby is in bed and done for the night.

I know there are mamas out there who don't pump while at work...I will probably be one when we get to 12 months, so I hope some of them chime in here

I think our lo are similar ages. I know my DD has started to increase her solids A LOT in the last few weeks and so the length of time between bf sessions has started to increase. Now she is also usually only having 2 bottles at DC instead of 3 like she used to (unless we are a little later picking her up, then they give her that last bottle so she isn't screaming on the way home). So, if you are not against it, see if your lo is more interested in solids. Maybe also send a sippy cup or bottle of water to DC if you need to?

Sorry I can't help more with the first questions.
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

maybe it isn't the greatest practice, but i cut holes in my bras so i can pump handsfree and use my commute to pump. That way i pump once at work, on the way to and from work, for a total of 3 pumpings. i could never get more pumpings in as I am a busy nurse instructor.

Thanks ladies....

2 bottles a DC.... I leave at 5:30am and don't return until 5pm and he has about 4-6 bottles....just depends on his day.... I am trying to encourage DH to feed more solids...we are creating a list of things he likes and can eat...so we will see what happens
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

my son whos gonna be 3 in july was able to eat enough food while i was at work that i quit pumping when he was 12 mos old-what a great feeling! i got sick of people's (men AND women) comments about it and carrying that bag and people who KNEW what was in the bag (the pump) kept asking whats in the bag. anyway he still nurses now, but just 3-4 "quick boobie" (s) a day.
    when he was smaller, though i worked 5 days a week, 40 hours. at my one job i had an hour commute so i would bf just before i left, even if only a little, whatever he would take, pump in car to/fro (it can be done!!) now my job is 10 minutes away----and i am a nurse, so i am super busy at work, and bosses cant "let" you be away from patients if they are in need and youre not suposed to have overtime, and theres never a set time i can take my break. though my boss tells me shes totally cool w/ me pumping, shes been there, done that and they do give me a room w/ a sink and a lock on the door!--if i can just get there! in fact if it werent for my having to pump, many times i would be so busy i couldnt even take a break. i remember crying cuz i was in pain, leaking, worrying about decreasing my supply and could not get away from the floor to go pump, then being so stressed out and couldnt have let down. plus as a floor nurse, sometimes you dont have time to drink or pee so its like how can you make breastmilk?
    so i have a 3month old now and go back to work TOMORROW.
    im gonna try to do better this time. i'm entitled to 10 minute break and 30 min lunch-we dont punch out for either, so im going to try to prioritize and take 2 -20 minute sessions
    so did my supply decrease? yes i hate to admit, but by about 10-11 mos of age my son was drinking about 2oz of 2%cows milk mixed w/ 6oz of ebm. i didnt make enough milk ahead of time and the supply went down, down down, to the point where a couple of times my dad drove up to the hospital to get my milk and take home to my darling hubby!
    this time i started to pump when daughter was 1 month old and i have gallons of ebm in freezer.............if only she'll take the nipple/bottle..........but thats another post!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

I think you have to be over the year point to pump wean without worrying about supply. I work full time and never pump while away and we feed with no problems while together. But I didn't go back to work until DJ was 14months old. We have had no issues.

Way too lazy for formula

I had to supplement a little bit at 10 months because it was our crazy busy time at work and some days I was only able to get in 1 or 2 pumping sessions. I made sure to offer the breast as much as possible at night and weekends and was able to keep up my supply. As his appetite for solids increased, that helped as well, although I was cautious about introducing too much too soon.

I quit pumping completely after 12 months when my son transitioned to organic cow's milk. He is 14 months now and the strange thing is I still occasionally experience a letdown at work. I still nurse at night and on weekends with no problem whatsoever.
    Sarah
    mommy to Liam, born 2/15/07
    14 months of breastfeeding and counting!

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

Hi
    I pump once in the am around 6:30 am and then pump only once during the workday which can be anywhere between 12 and 2pm. If it's a Friday I may even dare not to pump at all until I get home. I work 8-4. I nurse exclusively at home so I think that helps with the supply. I also pump as soon as I get home from work and about 10pm. That's a total of 4 pumpng sessions per day.
    Fortunately I have always had enough for my DS to eat. If I see I may be falling short then I add in another pumping session.

Hi-

I pump 2x at work- in my car- at 8am and 11am. sometimes I get enough for the next day and sometimes I don't- but I have a stash in my freezer- I pump on Sat. and Sun. mornings to get that stash in case I need it during the week.

I have been a bit lucky though, dd prefers boob to bottle so she reverse cycled and eats mostly through the night.

Lauren