Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Please help....

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Please help....

    Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    We did this tonight and it was well worth it. Thanks! She is wanting to eat more often today, hopefully to get my supply back up. She never wanted to comfort nurse before, but it seems like today she is comfort sucking at the end of each side for a while. Fine with me! I felt awful about yesterday, so I love just sitting with her now!
    Oh good! I'm glad.

    Remember, as she grows, she' going to eat more and more quantity-wise, which will occur spurts. When this happens, she'll want to nurse more and more-not to drive you crazy, but to create more demand and thus supply (food) for her. What a gift that your lo is so smart to do all of this and for your body to provide! As this demand she has right now evens out, things will cool down and be great until the next go-round. Great job, momma. Way to hang in there!! DS loves you for it.

    And Tia, I thought of something else. If you're still having pain when you nurse, could you tell a little more about that please? Does it happen throughout the nursing session? Are your nipples cracked and bleeding? blistered? Or is it a shooting pain during and after nursing? (Sorry to ask so many questions-just in need of a clear picture of what you're going through.) Thanks! Nursing shouldn't hurt except at the very beginning as the nipples "toughen up". Being a mom is difficult enough, so we can get through this as well so there's one less thing for you to worry about.
    Last edited by mommamags; April 11th, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Please help....

    As, everyone else has said, don't worry about what is in the past, just move forward. I have a tendency to feel guilty about things also, but find comfort in the fact that you are not the only one who has done something and regretted it. Sleep deprivation and the stress of being a new mom is very hard on many of us. Use it as a learning experience and just move forward . BF can be very hard in the beginning, but it is so rewarding. I think I cried every day for the first two months because I was so stressed out and scared that BF wasn't working. But I kept doing it and now at 6.5 months my LO is doing great. I won't say you won't have any trouble later on, but it does get easier! Now, when people seem surprised that I'm still nursing, I think it's funny because DD would let me have it if I tried to give her a bottle of formula . I wouldn't have it any other way and neither would she. Anyway, I'm sure others here with more knowledge can help you with the pain you are having. Working with a lactation consultant did wonders for us. Hang in there! Just think of what a great start you are giving your LO!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

    Still breastfeeding !

    and !


  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Please help....

    You can do it! You're just about to get past the biggest hurdle! Almost all our problems were over by 6 weeks!!! Hang in there a little longer and you'll be so glad you did. Boy do I remember the sore nipples (I mean toe curling at each latch) and feeling overwhelmed. Part of it was the lack of sleep too! Especially the crying at 3am because I wanted to give up. It's easy to start feeling alone when DH is getting a great nights sleep! I promise, it gets so much better soon. Don't give up! They say BF is not supposed to hurt, but that's if you AND baby are getting it right. Just keep getting on this site and doing all the research and getting all the support you can. If you can afford to meet with a LC, that would be excellent.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Please help....

    Thanks everyone for all the encouragment.... we are trying to stick it through!! Another question though....

    Last night she was eating every 2 hours or less... is this just so she can get my supply back up?

    Before we quit for a day, she would eat 5 minutes on 1 side, then go at least 3 hours and do one side again. Now she is doing 10-15 minutes on both sides, and only going an hour or 2 at tops in between. Am I not making enough??

    And I think we are having issues with her tongue... I think she is pushing the nipple out of her mouth with every suck and then it gets to the point where she is just on the nipple and it HURTS!! What can I do to get her to latch right?

    Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

    At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Please help....

    Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    And Tia, I thought of something else. If you're still having pain when you nurse, could you tell a little more about that please? Does it happen throughout the nursing session? Are your nipples cracked and bleeding? blistered? Or is it a shooting pain during and after nursing? (Sorry to ask so many questions-just in need of a clear picture of what you're going through.) Thanks! Nursing shouldn't hurt except at the very beginning as the nipples "toughen up". Being a mom is difficult enough, so we can get through this as well so there's one less thing for you to worry about.
    The pain is at the beginning when she latches. My nipples are cracked, but not bleeding.. yet. She used to open her mouth really wide, but lately she is just opening it a little and trying to latch on, and if I do get her to open wide, she slips off so she is just on the nipple. Either way, it usually hurts for the first 30 seconds or so. Then after she is done, it hurts to have my bra rub on the nipple.

    Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

    At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Please help....

    Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the encouragment.... we are trying to stick it through!! Another question though....

    Last night she was eating every 2 hours or less... is this just so she can get my supply back up?

    Before we quit for a day, she would eat 5 minutes on 1 side, then go at least 3 hours and do one side again. Now she is doing 10-15 minutes on both sides, and only going an hour or 2 at tops in between. Am I not making enough??

    And I think we are having issues with her tongue... I think she is pushing the nipple out of her mouth with every suck and then it gets to the point where she is just on the nipple and it HURTS!! What can I do to get her to latch right?
    I bet she is in fact demanding more to get supply up more (Trust those mommy instincts, they're almost always right!) from the short break you took and from the growth spurt if that's what she's going through. Just let her nurse on demand and your supply will be where it needs to be.

    How have her diapers been since you went back to bf? That's always a good indicator of if she's getting enough.

    From what you said here and in your original post, she wants to have a shallow latch-OUCH! Try to pull her in closer to you. The tip of her nose should be touching or almost touching (only enough space to slice a credit card through) your breast. How are you getting her to open up her mouth to latch on? Are you holding your breast in your hand like a sandwich? Again, sorry for all the ???????'s.

    I just want to commend you for sticking with it through this rough patch and for embracing mommyhood like you have. You're doing a great job!!! Keep up the good work. It's the hardest, but best job in the world. Take good care of yourself, mommy. Drink your water, get your rest and calories, nurse on demand and your supply will be back up in no time. Just watch the diaper count.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Please help....

    I have been holding my breast with my hand (I have to hold it the whole time she eats because I am on the large chested side) and putting my nipple on her top lip until she opens. Then I push her mouth on with the nipple pointing towards the roof of her mouth. I even try to push on her chin to make her open wide, and I make her wait to latch until she is opened wide. But something still is going wrong. I think she is pushing it out of her mouth while she is eating.

    Also, I am going to start watching her wets, because she is only swallowing for about 2 minutes (if that) and then she is just sucking and not swallowing. And she doesn't seem satisfied after both sides. She pulls on the nipple and pulls her head back, but I only let down when she first latches on, and not again. What can I do to up my supply? She has been nursing on demand all day and yesteday... but I don't think it's enough

    Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

    At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Please help....

    Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    The pain is at the beginning when she latches. My nipples are cracked, but not bleeding.. yet. She used to open her mouth really wide, but lately she is just opening it a little and trying to latch on, and if I do get her to open wide, she slips off so she is just on the nipple. Either way, it usually hurts for the first 30 seconds or so. Then after she is done, it hurts to have my bra rub on the nipple.
    1) Leave your shirt open and bra undone and let your nipples air dry, ten to twenty minutes.

    2) When she slips down to the end of the nipple, latch off and then go at it again. She'll learn it eventually, especially if she wants food!

    Both of these things are important in preventing further cracking, letting the cracks that are there heal, and preventing infections like thrush from setting in.

    Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    I have been holding my breast with my hand (I have to hold it the whole time she eats because I am on the large chested side) and putting my nipple on her top lip until she opens. Then I push her mouth on with the nipple pointing towards the roof of her mouth. I even try to push on her chin to make her open wide, and I make her wait to latch until she is opened wide. But something still is going wrong. I think she is pushing it out of her mouth while she is eating.

    Also, I am going to start watching her wets, because she is only swallowing for about 2 minutes (if that) and then she is just sucking and not swallowing. And she doesn't seem satisfied after both sides. She pulls on the nipple and pulls her head back, but I only let down when she first latches on, and not again. What can I do to up my supply? She has been nursing on demand all day and yesteday... but I don't think it's enough
    When my supply gets low, I do super-switch nursing. I'll let ds switch three to five times per feeding. This tells the body to make more milk.

    Whatever side you end one feeding, start with that side the next feeding. For instance, first feeding do right then left, next feeding, start with the left then right.

    My left side is way low right now for some reason, so I'm starting and ending every feeding session with that side until my supply issue is resolved. It could be a week or so. It's always been a battle there.

    Once your supply is back up, you can probably go to one feeding per side again! Yeah!

    It sounds like you're doing everything right in getting her to latch on, just that she wants to have a shallow latch. When she does that, remember to breathe and try again. She was born to do this and it is a learning process.

    When you're holding your breast for her, just make sure it's like she's taking a bite of a "sandwich". Do you know what I mean by this? I'm terrible at explaining this so I apologize!!!

    How have the diapers been today-dirty and wet?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Davenport, FL
    Posts
    763

    Default Re: Please help....

    aww sweetie. I have not looked at the other posts. However, I have learned bf is not easy even after the 8wks.

    At 6wks your lo is still learning just like you. You have not ruined anything. One night of not bf is not the end. Even now with my lo being 8months old I want to just give up.

    I am a weak person and many many many moms here remember how many times I wanted to just give up. My reasons for still bf is for saving money, the challenge, and to show my family I can do this.

    My biggest help was everyone here and setting small but very important goals for myself. I started with weekly goals to move to monthly, and now I have 4 months to hit my 1yr anniversary.

    You can do this just keep working on the latching. I went to dr. jack newman's website for some video help. (sorry I am not good at posting links). HTH

    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

    Still going 14months later.

    1yr goal and save $2200 average.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Please help....

    Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    When my supply gets low, I do super-switch nursing. I'll let ds switch three to five times per feeding. This tells the body to make more milk.
    So when do I switch sides? After she stops swallowing? Or let it go a little longer than that???


    Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    How have the diapers been today-dirty and wet?
    She has been having a wet at least every time I feed her, which I figure is good... no poop since last night around 6....

    Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

    At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •