Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help....

Exclamation Please help....

I made a huge mistake yesterday. We had had an awful night (getting up every 2 hours, which is not like her) and I was just upset so I decided that I was going to stop bf. She was acting like she had never done it before, not opening wide, unlatching every minute, and I was so sore that I just gave up. Well needless to say, I woke up this morning and regretted it. I know it will be hard, but I just didn't think I could do it anymore. But now I want to. I feel so stupid about this, but I need help with it. This is how yesterday went...

Yesterday
    7:30 Am- BF
    1:00 PM- pumped
    9:00 PM- puumped

Today
    8:00 AM- BF (one side)
    now I am going to pump both sides when I get done with this

Is it too late? Did I mess up my supply with what I did yesterday?

And also, I think with all the bottles yesterday, she isn't putting her tongue where it needs to be. When she goes to latch on she pulls it in, what can I do??

And one more thing, I am afraid this is going to happen again. I am not a strong person and I am one to give up when things get hard. How do you all keep going? Even when it is hard, and you are tired, and it hurts? Because I don't know if I can be strong next time as well....

Please help... TIA

ETA: She is 6 wks old.
    Last edited by danalynn724; April 11th, 2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added age

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Default Re: Please help....

First of it's ok....BF isn't easy...at least not for me....just remember you have tons of people here to support you...outside of my DH, this site was it!!!

You didn't mess up... I would say nurse often to day so that you tell your body to keep producing milk...

Here is a link with some videos about latching that may help you...my lo didn't like opening his mouth wide when he was smaller... hth

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    I made a huge mistake yesterday. We had had an awful night (getting up every 2 hours, which is not like her) and I was just upset so I decided that I was going to stop bf. She was acting like she had never done it before, not opening wide, unlatching every minute, and I was so sore that I just gave up. Well needless to say, I woke up this morning and regretted it. I know it will be hard, but I just didn't think I could do it anymore. But now I want to. I feel so stupid about this, but I need help with it. This is how yesterday went...

Yesterday
    7:30 Am- BF
    1:00 PM- pumped
    9:00 PM- puumped

Today
    8:00 AM- BF (one side)
    now I am going to pump both sides when I get done with this

Is it too late? Did I mess up my supply with what I did yesterday?

And also, I think with all the bottles yesterday, she isn't putting her tongue where it needs to be. When she goes to latch on she pulls it in, what can I do??

And one more thing, I am afraid this is going to happen again. I am not a strong person and I am one to give up when things get hard. How do you all keep going? Even when it is hard, and you are tired, and it hurts? Because I don't know if I can be strong next time as well....

Please help... TIA

ETA: She is 6 wks old.
    awww Don't give up!!! Its not to late. Just put the bottles away and nurse like crazy today. It gets to be alot easier to nurse as they get older. Don't give up. Breastfeeding is the BEST thing you can do for your baby.
    If she has issues sleeping try swaddling- it worked wonders for my lo.
    As far as the latch goes.. get in touch with a lacatation consultant from the hospital where you delivered or your peds office or (the best option) find the local LLL chapter near you and email or give them a call. The leaders are there to help and give you encouragement. Just stick with it. It will get easier. Realize that newborns go through peroids where they literally want to hang out on the breast ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. its normal!!! Stick with it you will be happy you did later on!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks guys... I guess I am just feeling really guilty... its awful!

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

I agree with the PP. I just wanted to
    Don't give up! The benefits are countless. I absolutely BF my LO. You are probably just tired and sleep deprived. It isn't easy, but we adjust. It is marvelous the way we have been made. Enjoy this!

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

it's the hardest right now, for both you and your LO. Just keep at it and when it gets fustrating try to think of things that calm you. Your LO will get it sooner or later (lets hope for sooner). I was in the same position as you when my LO was first born and I almost gave up so many times. Just make a post on here when you need the extra boost to keep on going!!!

good luck!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

s, sweetie!

At your lo's age, she may be going through a growth spurt, hence the fussiness. Babies change sleep patterns as they go through these types of changes. As soon as we get used to something they're doing in any kind of rhythm, they change it. They keep us on our toes, for sure.

Don't beat yourself up. Call it exactly what you did-a bad night. So for today or however long you need/want to, unplug the clock, grab the remote, don't do any chores and just stay in bed with lo all day and nurse as often as she wishes. You didn't go for that long without nursing, so your supply probably didn't suffer all that much. It should go right back up soon. Just watch lo's diaper output to make sure she's getting enough. For a change of scenery, you could take a warm bath together. She'd love that, and I bet you would too! It's a wonderful way to reconnect.

Most importantly, forgive yourself and relax-being stressed can hinder let-down.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    For a change of scenery, you could take a warm bath together. She'd love that, and I bet you would too! It's a wonderful way to reconnect.
    We did this tonight and it was well worth it. Thanks! She is wanting to eat more often today, hopefully to get my supply back up. She never wanted to comfort nurse before, but it seems like today she is comfort sucking at the end of each side for a while. Fine with me! I felt awful about yesterday, so I love just sitting with her now!

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Hi there! Just wanted to tell you that there are many mamas on this forum who have felt exactly as you did yesterday, on the verge of giving up, including me! I think I must have gone at least 24 hours (if not 48) only pumping in the early weeks, because I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand nursing anymore. The can of formula was on the counter as a constant reminder of my "way out." But after a little over a day of not nursing, I missed my baby girl so much and I really needed the bonding time that nursing provided. So I got her latched back on and it wasn't long after that when the majority of our problems seemed to have ironed themselves out.

Now we're at 16 weeks of bfing, and I can honestly say that I love it and see no end in sight. Just remember to sign onto the forums and ask for help and encouragement when you need it!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Cool Re: Please help....

The 3rd night of BF, I did give in. I wasn't sleeping, I hurt, bad, my nippples were scabbed and swollen, and I had spent half the night crying becasue I wasn't getting it right. At 1 am when he woke up hungry, I rolled over and said to DH...I can't, I don't wanna do this anymore. I got up and fixed him a bottle of formula. I felt so guilty, and ashamed, but I was able to get some rest that night. The next morning, when DS woke me at 6, I put him to my breast with a new resolve and more determination than I've ever had in my life. I WAS going to breastfeed if it killed me. And we made it this far! Don't give up, you can do it!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987