Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Saturday Night Fever

Question Saturday Night Fever

Ok, I am going out of town this Saturday to throw my little sister a bachelorette party. I will be leaving my two sons with my mom and cousin. This is my first time away from my newest son, he is 3.5 months old, co-sleeps and breastfeeds. I have some milk pumped and frozen, but my mom has never dealt with pumped milk, defrosting it, etc. I do not even know how many ounces he takes at a feeding to tell her to prepare. Plus, she will not be co-sleeping with him (she is too afraid to, which I am actually glad of). Poor little guy is going to really be in for a time of it for 24 hours! The sad thing is, I am going to have to pump and dump because I will not have a fridge with me at the hotel.

Soooo, how many times in this 24 hour period should I pump? I have a decent supply, but I do not really leak or get engorged if I skip a feeding. I do not want to lose my supply either.

Really, I do not even want to go but gotta do it!
    Jeanie, REAL housewife from the OC
    mom to
    Jake Cayden- October 2004, 7 lbs
    Tristan Cruz- December 2007, 6lbs 6 oz (now 18 lbs at 4 months old)

Still - so much easier this time! 16 months and counting...
    Still but would love to have my bed back!

Default Re: Saturday Night Fever

Hi Shellstar

Go out, have a good time! Every mom needs to have fun too! Here is a site that will help you figure out how much your baby will need, but in my opinion a 3 month old might take 4-6 oz just cause the flow is faster, not b/c they are that hungry. here is a site that might help you with that.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Also, I wouldnt worry about pumping if your going to be gone for one night. Just feed/pump before you leave and when you come home. But if you want to here is a site that will show you how long you could keep your milk out or on ice if you dont have a fridge. You might not have to waste your liquid gold
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
    Have a good time momma!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

i agree bring a cooler with ice packs...for 24 hrs your milk should be fine on ice (Id even ask the lobby to replace your ice in your cooler for you once or twice) I even once asked a hotel to store my milk in their fridge for me and they were happy to! (Dont pump and dump if not necc!! agreed-> liquid gold!!!!) I usually pump every 3-4 hours, but have gone as long as 8 hrs on days where we are out all day! if you can pump 3-4 times I think you will be fine for one night!!!

My lo at that age was eating about 3-4 oz and now at 8 mo eats about 5 oz!! They plataeu eventually!

My sugg is to have your mom thaw the frozen milk in a hot/warm glass of tap water..I usually prepare the next feeeding while my lo is eating the current one...since it lasts a long time at room temp dont have her wait until your lo wants the feeding to start to thaw it! leaves for a very not happy baby and a LONG 5 min!! HAHA!!

Have fun at the party!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Thank you for the replies. They were very helpful! I do not want to dump my milk, trust me. I will bring a cooler!

Thanks again, and for the links too!
    Jeanie, REAL housewife from the OC
    mom to
    Jake Cayden- October 2004, 7 lbs
    Tristan Cruz- December 2007, 6lbs 6 oz (now 18 lbs at 4 months old)

Still - so much easier this time! 16 months and counting...
    Still but would love to have my bed back!

Also wanted to add, many hotels will provide a room fridge if you ask...don't dump it if you don't have too! And have a blast, I'm jealous!

You would want to express at least as many times as your baby would nurse. This will help prevent plugged ducts/mastitis.

Have you considered bringing Grandma and baby with? That way, Grandma could feed ebm while you're out, and you could nurse directly at bedtime. Just a thought!

peas thats a great idea....!