Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colic this late in the game?

Cool Re: Colic this late in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    Colic usually starts around 3 weeks and ends around 3 months.
    This is why I was so eager to brush off DH's suggestions of colic!! I'm honestly thinking it may have to do with my milk intake. We had an issue with what looked like spinach in DS's poo at 5 weeks, I think, and now, this. I took him to the first doctor (the ob-gyn, see below) a while back because of the stringy poo, and she said as long as the wets are ok, there's nothing to be done, but she didn't really want to see the diaper (I really don't blame her, who would?)

Now we are back to his normal Ped (insurance issues, I was auto assigned to an Ob-Gyn because of the caseworker not sending in his paperwork til he was 6 weeks old, grrr.) I called them yesterday, and the nurse said unless he's running a fever, his wets are still ok, bla bla bla. I'm so tired of doctors brushing off what I say. It's not like I cry wolf at every little thing he does. Hell this is the first time I've actually called the doctor for advice. Sorry, off the subject, there for a minute.

No runny nose, no other signs of illness. No fever, happy all day. Right up until 9ish, and then it starts...

The poo poo list isn't much help. His isn't on there. It's the color of mustard, but wet, or stringy/mucousy.

If he does the same thing tonight or through the weekend, I'm going to record it, and I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor and tell him to fix it, whatever it is. I wont leave until I feel assured that we wont be going through this all again!
    Last edited by milk_milk; April 11th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Default Re: Colic this late in the game?

Elimination of all dairy is the first line of defense in this situation. I have seen countless babies who had blood in their poop which resolved when mom stopped all dairy products and returned with even a small amount of milk or cheese. Other dietary changes may be needed for breastfeeding moms. Formula fed babies lose blood from the lower intestine when they drink cow milk formula and some have the same losses on soy formula. Occasionally, this "micro-hemorrhaging" can become visible as blood streaking on the surface of the stool. Persistent or increasing blood in the stool or blood mixed with mucus (described as "currant jelly" stool in the texts) requires an immediate call to your doctor.

let us know what happens and if you talk to the doctor.
    It might help another mom out down the line.
    I hope he does beter over the week end!

My DS had something similar right around your son's age. We did an elimination diet but nothing seemed to help. Eventually after a process of elimination, we decided that it is most likely a combination of very early teething (nothing coming through but constantly biting down and excessive drooling) and major OALD/OS issues. Is either a possibility in your situation?

No OALD, but...

I've been wondering if he was starting to teeth yet. He drools like crazy, and is constantly trying to put my fingers in his mouth and bite. Actually, that ended up helping him last night. He kept spitting out the pacifier, which I only put in there to muffle his screams while I tried to find the solution (this kid is LOUD), so I reached around his head and stuck my first finger in his mouth, which he began gumming and sucking.

That still doesn't explain the poopies though

Nor does it explain that he only does it at 9 at night? He doesn't cry during the day at all.
    Hi there

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

IMO... I couldn't imagine it was colic, at least not at this stage of things .........ehhhh, geeze, I sure remember those days, and I wouldnt wish them for anyone! DD started that at like 2 weeks, and went on and on and on and on until about 4 months! Our dd has severe reflux, and is a horribly gassy baby! I had to eliminate dairy, onions, cabbage, broccli, (basically almost all greens) and garlic for quite some time... which helped. I slowly introduced them back into my diet after a while! The whole arching and "contorting" was classic symptom of reflux. Also, do try the hot water bottle (of course make sure not too hot) and place LO on their belly on it and rub back... see if this helps some. I spent the first four months of Breanah's life rocking, patting, walking, bouncing, singing.... etc.

If you haven't already, I would just call your pedi... just to "run-things-up-the-flag pole!"

mama! I sure hope your Lo gets to feeling better!

BTW... I live in Mooresville, IN!! Which is about 15 mins from you!! I am gonna start walking when the weather gets warmer! If you want, maybe we could meet at the park or something and walk together! Have you been to any of the LLL meetings at Methodist Medical Plaza on 135? I think that they are like the first Wed of the month. I went to my first one last week!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

I was just thinking also it might be a growth spurt!

Hi ,

I'm sorry you and your little one are going through such a rough time. Here is an article from our member publication, NEW BEGINNINGS, that might give you some coping strategies: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb07p30.html

When your baby wakes at 9pm and screams, do you try to nurse him? How does he respond?

If the crying is due to teething, offering a chilled teether or frozen washcloth can help. Nursing also helps to sooth a teething baby. You might also talk to your baby's health care provider about over the counter teething remedies.

It sounds like your gut is telling you that your baby is hurting. I would agree with previous posters that if you feel you are not getting sufficient answers from your baby's current doctor, you might do well to call around and get a second or third opinion. You are the expert on your own baby.

Many mothers have found that care from a chiropractor who specializes in threating infants can help babies who seem to be in inexplicable pain.

I hope this is helpful to you. Hang in there, mama, and keep us posted.

Tiana

Hi mama,
    You have gotten some interesting ideas from the pps!
    Can you tell us how long the whole fussy at 9 pm has been going on?
    How often are the poops green, and stringy- every time?

Can you explain what you hear when you feed your baby? Any gulping, coughing or sputtering? Does baby pop on and off?

How has baby's weight gain been?

Wow, lots of answers to give...

Let's see if I can get them all.

Okay, it started 2 nights ago, I'm going to see if it happens again tonight. It only happens at 9 at night. He is otherwise a very cheerful baby.

No signs of any illness or fever.

He does nurse at first, like when he first wakes up and starts whimpering. The first night, though, I tried to comfort nurse him in the middle of the screaming session, and he wanted nothing to do with it. He arched, and then screamed louder. Usually if he's having a rough day, and I try to comfort nurse him, he's all about it. Last night, he did nurse at the beginning, but got his fill, and didn't want to nurse further on into the screaming session.

He doesn't have the hand eye coordination yet to do teethers

His poo started being this way just this week. He was only going once or twice a week up until this week, and before, it was thick. The consistency and color of old mustard. Now it's watery and a little lighter colored with what looks like mucous in them (when I pull away the diaper, it's like snot, or like cheesy pizza).

At 7:30 tonight, he had a poo that looked fairly normal! YAY maybe things are looking up? It was curdy/seedy and yellow, and not HUGE or EXPLOSIVE

I called the ped, and they said as long as he acts fine during the day, it could be "just a bad day" (rolling my eyes at this)

All his other growth spurts he went through, he wasn't fussy, just hungry?

No gulping or sputtering, occasionally, he'll choke, pop off and cough, but usually he stays on, and usually all I'll hear is gulp gulp gulp.

I've been thinking of taking him to a chiro, but I think I need a referral for medicaid to pay?

My kid's a cow lol, kidding. But he is in the 97th percentile for his age. He's 13 wks, and weighs 15lb 8 oz I'm so proud.

Mama2...I'd love to get out and walk! I haven't gone to the meetings yet because we can never get out of the house before 1, but thats a step up from the beginning! We used to not get out til 5 or not at all! I will message you!

Please check out the next page for more!
    Last edited by milk_milk; April 11th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Hi there