Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help for my stuffy baby

Default need help for my stuffy baby

i feel so bad dd can't breath through her nose really well and is really not herself at all... she is only running a low grade fever, 99.1 under the arm (her normal is 98.8) here is where i need some suggestions... she usually nurses at 10 or 10:30 before bed... well it is 10:45 and i only got her to take a few swiggs. DH suggested pumping and giving a bottle so that i could hold her upright more (she has about 4 bottles a week so that isn't an issue, well maybe coming from me it would be) she is falling asleep and i don't want to get engourged and i'm thinking that laying down nursing wont be good for the stuffy nose either... ggrrr i hate that she is sick so what should i do?? could, in some odd way, DH be right? would a bottle be easier for her to take??? she didn't have a problem with the one she took from my mom earlier...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Default Re: need help for my stuffy baby

My little guy had a cold in Feb. He also had trouble laying down, but nursing seemed to help (we just did a lot more with him sitting more upright). It also seemed to help when I put saline drops in his nose before nursing. Sometimes I had to suck out his nose with that blue nasal aspirator (the "nose sucker" as we call it) we got when he was born. But I think just the saline helped soften it all up.

Nursing beats bottles for clearing noses--more suction means better at clearing the nasal passages, I think. Not that a bottle would hurt that much, but it probably isn't going to be any better.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Try steam showers... run the shower on hot and take the baby in the shower or hold her near the tub and let the bathroom get all steamy... shoot some breastmilk up her nose- REALLY. Squeeze your nipples and spray it in or pump a bit out and shoot it up her noise. It will help to clear it out and heal the nasal passages. ALso you can squirt saline up there and then try to suck out some boogies with a bulb syringe.
    I would stick with the nursing instread of a bottle- you can try nursing laying down or her elevated on a pillow- she will let you know its its not working for her.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

You could rub a little "Vicks Baby Rub" on your LO's upper chest... (this stuff has ingredients like eucalyptus & rosemary in it, no medicine...) But it has a nice, vaporizing scent to it that can help break up sinus congestion. I have also heard rubbing some on the soles of their feet, then putting socks on over it helps (haven't actually tried that one yet.)

You could also try using a humidifier where you DD sleeps, it also helps loosen the congestion. Also, try elevating the head of her bed...The saline drops do help, temporarily... I would put a couple of drops in just before nursing, then use the "nose sucker" to suck out as much as I can, then put her on to nurse right away...

Can you tell we've dealt with a stuffy LO lately too??

Hope this helps,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by buff24 View Post
    You could rub a little "Vicks Baby Rub" on your LO's upper chest... (this stuff has ingredients like eucalyptus & rosemary in it, no medicine...) But it has a nice, vaporizing scent to it that can help break up sinus congestion. I have also heard rubbing some on the soles of their feet, then putting socks on over it helps (haven't actually tried that one yet.)

You could also try using a humidifier where you DD sleeps, it also helps loosen the congestion. Also, try elevating the head of her bed...The saline drops do help, temporarily... I would put a couple of drops in just before nursing, then use the "nose sucker" to suck out as much as I can, then put her on to nurse right away...

Can you tell we've dealt with a stuffy LO lately too??

Hope this helps,
    Buff
    I did all that when DD was a baby and OMG it helped so much..... Vicks, Humidifier, Saline baby drops, Nose bulb and steam bath....

PS - Before you are going to nurse your baby make sure you clean her nose first

Cool Re: need help for my stuffy baby

Quote Originally Posted by buff24 View Post
    I have also heard rubbing some on the soles of their feet, then putting socks on over it helps (haven't actually tried that one yet.)
    Tried it! It really does work! On adults too...
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Yep, we had the "stuffies" also, and I too used baby saline drops... and the "nose-suckie-thingy" (bulb-syringe) which helped tremendously before nursing. Also, at night we ran a cool mist humidifier in her nursery, and that for sure made a world of difference!!!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

A lot of good suggestions! I also put like a small couch pillow or rolled up blankie under the crib mattress to elevate it slightly. That way the yuckies are kept slightly at bay by gravity.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie