Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My DD lcks on to anything that is near her mouth

Question My DD lcks on to anything that is near her mouth

HI there moms,

My DD licks on anything near her mouth. She has a spl liking to cloth. At first i thought she was signalling that she is hungry, but turns out she has the same level of interest in licking even after a long and satisfying nursing sessions!!!!

Is thos normal? or is there something i need to worry about???????

mom2sarvagnya

Default Re: My DD lcks on to anything that is near her mouth

sounds normal to me. Plus they have reflexes when they are tiny that help them learn how to nurse. so depending on the babies age she still might have thoose reflexes.

My daughter (5 months) eats, chews on, licks everything. Her burp cloths, toys, her fingers our fingers, the dog .....I think it's pretty normal and her way of exploring things. I just try to keep things clean.

My dd is the exact same way...She no more than finishes nursing, and wants her paci, or fingers, or blankets, or anything else she can possibly chew/suck on. Sometimes I wonder if she's still hungry too, but if I offer her the breast, she just plays with it...I think I'd rather she PLAY with her toys!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Dr. Sears describes those babiers as "mouthers" and states that it is perfectly normal but that they are at a way higher risk of choking because everything goes directly to the mouth without even a glance to check it out. My dd is one of those and has choked already--on grass while camping. We just have to be diligent around the house to keep stuff picked up and when out and about to keep a close eye on her.

By the way, her favorite thing to suck/chew/lick is a cold wet washcloth. Plus, she is teething right now and its hot with no a/c, and I think it feels quite good to her.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have this same issue with my 5 month old daughter-she is a "mouther" Everything goes in there, no mater what, including the dog too, which is funny!!! We are starting the baby proofing around the house, since I have a feeling that I'm going to have to watch her like a hawk once she can start getting around.