Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blessed Thistle & Fenugreek...

Question Blessed Thistle & Fenugreek...

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get blessed thistle and fenugreek? I have no idea where I should go and how much I should take. I'm allergic to oatmeal, so I can't use that to increase my supply. I tried breastea from a site online, but it didn't increase my supply at all.
    Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Blessed Thistle & Fenugreek...

I once tried these to increase milk supply. They do work, however one of them can be hard to find can't remember which one though. You have to go to a either a health food store, or a store that strickly sells vitamins.

This site will help you with they feel is the right doseage for fenugreek and also places that sell it as well.
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/fenugreek.html

Here is site that talks about taking both herbs and doses.
    http://www.asklenore.com/breastfeeding/herbs.html
    Hope these sites help you decide how much to take.

You can buy them both at healthfood stores. The fenugreek is easier to find. I"m in the same dilemna with my milk supply. Fenugreek didn't help me so I was going to try the blessed thistle, but I haven't been able to find it. I am taking New Mother's Tea by the Herbalist Alchamist...it's loose tea you make and drink 3x's a day..but no major results yet. I really want to try blessed thistle. Will keep looking. Interested to hear what your results are. I"m also trying oatmeal!

Good luck!

GNC carries both Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek.

Taking 3 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day is the normal dosage and Blessed Thistle is the same dosage. In 24-72 hours you should notice a increase in supply. Don't be alarm if you start smelling like maple syrup! It's from the fenugreek. It'll make you want some pancakes!

In my experience taking both of them at the same time worked better than just one.

Quote Originally Posted by LeakyLeague
    GNC carries both Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek.

Taking 3 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day is the normal dosage and Blessed Thistle is the same dosage. In 24-72 hours you should notice a increase in supply. Don't be alarm if you start smelling like maple syrup! It's from the fenugreek. It'll make you want some pancakes!

In my experience taking both of them at the same time worked better than just one.
    If you take fenugreek, make sure it does not contain any other ingredients. Apparently, some manufacturers include other herbs which can actually DECREASE your milk!
    The dosage to take varies with each person. you need to take enough so that you smell of maple syrup
    Please talk to your doctor before taking ANY herbs or otc meds. Fenugreek, for instance, is contraindicated if you have allergies to peanuts, or have severe hayfever, clotting disorders, hypoglycemia, or diabetes.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Can fenugreek and blessed thistle both be taken at the same time at the recommended dosage? (2-3 capsules 2 to 3 times a day of each)

I'm taking More Milk Plus by Motherlove 4x a day. It contains: dried fenugreek seed, blessed thistle leaf, nettle leaf, fennel seed, deionized water, 33%-43% grain alcohol, vegetable glycerin (all herbs organic). Herb strength: 1:3 For more info, you can go to:

www.motherlove.com

I personally have not seen an increase yet. I've been taking the stuff since Saturday and pumping since Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald
    Can fenugreek and blessed thistle both be taken at the same time at the recommended dosage? (2-3 capsules 2 to 3 times a day of each)
    It was recommended to me by a Lactation Consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLnormaR
    If you take fenugreek, make sure it does not contain any other ingredients. Apparently, some manufacturers include other herbs which can actually DECREASE your milk!
    The dosage to take varies with each person. you need to take enough so that you smell of maple syrup
    Please talk to your doctor before taking ANY herbs or otc meds. Fenugreek, for instance, is contraindicated if you have allergies to peanuts, or have severe hayfever, clotting disorders, hypoglycemia, or diabetes.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR
    Thank you, I forgot to add that about the allergies.

I'm taking More Milk Plus by Motherlove 4x a day. It contains: dried fenugreek seed, blessed thistle leaf, nettle leaf, fennel seed, deionized water, 33%-43% grain alcohol, vegetable glycerin (all herbs organic).
    I also take this, but I take the one that is alcohol free. It took about a full week for me to notice a difference, but now it's great.