Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Right side has more than left??

Default Right side has more than left??

Is it normal for one boob to produce more milk than the other? Just in reference to pumping, I usually get about half as much from my left as I do from my right. Many times I only get a half ounce from my left and get 1 to 1.5 ounces from my right. Then sometimes I get 1.5 ounces from both sides. Just now I got 2 ounces from my right and 1 ounce from my left, and I hadn't fed the baby or pumped in 5 hours, just due to being out and a crazy busy day. Typically I either BF or pump every 2-3 hours. I don't pump a lot yet, usually once a day sometimes twice. My daughter is almost 6 weeks old.
    So, back to the original question- is it normal and/or OK for one boob to have more than the other?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Right side has more than left??

As far as I know, it's normal... my right side has always been the super producer, while left side is the lazy side. It also depends on which side I last fed the baby on, too... if I recently fed on the super-producing side, then that side will have less... So to answer your question, yes it's normal

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My right side is my better producer too, usually at least by 0.5 oz. I try to always feed the left side first, or if only one feed during the night, make it left side. That gives it more stimulation and gives it a fighting chance

I am having this same issue and just posted about it in the pumping forum -- thanks for asking this question. I just got 5 oz out of the right and about 2.5 out of the left -- it's a measurable difference, but I did feed him about 3 hrs ago on the left so maybe that accounts for it.

We are a predominant left boob in our house! LO even prefers it over the right on most occasions! When I pump on the weekends at work, I always get about 1-2 ounces more from the left breast. Although, when she does nurse on the right side, she seems satisfied... and I can hear her gulping plenty!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Quote Originally Posted by svsouza View Post
    I am having this same issue and just posted about it in the pumping forum -- thanks for asking this question. I just got 5 oz out of the right and about 2.5 out of the left -- it's a measurable difference, but I did feed him about 3 hrs ago on the left so maybe that accounts for it.
    Wow 5 oz from one side is good! I have never gotten more than 2 oz from either side.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Wow 5 oz from one side is good! I have never gotten more than 2 oz from either side.
    2oz is actually pretty good for a five week old baby. A breastfed baby this age usually does not drink more than this at a feeding.

I have the same thing. My baby is 10 days and I nurse my toddler also. I have always produced more on the right and the left always feels floppier and is harder to get a let down from. My toddler quite nursing on the left at 1 year and they were totally different sizes! She now does both but they are still different sizes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with lopsided boobs! My right will get engorged super fast during the workday and my left could probably go another hour or more before getting engorged. I've never been able to pump more than 2oz out of the left side, and my dd is almost 5 months old. My right side could go forever with the pump, which makes pumping at work stink even more. I've been so worried that I'm losing my supply because my left breast is so floppy while the right is full and happy.