Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How critical is weight gain in the transition to exclusive bf?

Default How critical is weight gain in the transition to exclusive bf?

I've been relactating for 4 weeks now ... after 8 weeks of not breastfeeding at all (and only nursing her first 2 weeks of life). I've been working with a hospital LC, and lucky enough to have a baby who loves to nurse. My routine has been to nurse every feeding then supplement with a bottle (and pump occasionally) ... we've been doing this for a couple of weeks like this.

My domperidone came on Monday of this week (had been taking Reglan and was weaning down due to bad side effects). I'm taking 30 mg 3x/day. By Monday night, my daughter had started rejecting some of her supplement bottles. By yesterday, she was rejecting most of her supplement bottles. Today, she finally drank 3oz almost 24 hours since her last supplement bottle.

I've been nursing her like crazy (every hour during the day) because I'm worried that my supply still isn't really enough. But she's had lots of wet diapers and has even pooped twice in the 3 days since she started rejecting some of her bottles. However, I have a baby scale, and she has lost 3 oz during the 3 days.

How much do I need to worry about the weight loss if I'm satisfied with her diapers? FWIW, she's a 90% weight on formula, already 15 pounds at not-quite 4 months. So, my thinking is that I was probably over-feeding her on the formula, and her weight may drop a bit as she adjusts to a more normal breastfeeding calorie intake. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm not really sure how to get more supplement into her. She's spitting and gagging on her bottles when I try to give them to her, and also won't nurse with the Lact-Aid. So, should I just trust her? Any experience?

Default Re: How critical is weight gain in the transition to exclusive bf?

Hi,

Could you tell me more about how and when you are weighing your daughter? Weighing babies is unfortunately not an exact science. If baby isn't weighed naked, by the same person, at the exact same time of day, with the same scale calibrated in the same way, the weight can be considered suspect.

Here is some more information:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

Has your daughter been examined by her health care provider recently? What is his/her opinion of your daughter's growth and overall health? Does your baby look healthy to you?

It sounds like baby's diaper output is good at this point. When your baby has a bm, what does it look like? Is it big, soft and seedy looking? Or is it small and hard?

As a general rule, as long as baby is having plenty of diaper output, you can gradually reduce the amount of supplement you are giving. Continue to keep track of diaper output, and stay in close contact with baby's health care provider to be assured that all is well.

I'm not really sure how to get more supplement into her. She's spitting and gagging on her bottles when I try to give them to her, and also won't nurse with the Lact-Aid. So, should I just trust her? Any experience?
    If baby is healthy and having plenty of diaper output, then she may be rejecting the supplement because she doesn't need it. It is also possible that she no longer likes the taste of the formula. Are you pumping anymore at this point? Since she doesn't seem to need much supplementation, you could try a small amount of expressed breastmilk in the SNS and see what she does.

HTH. It sounds like you're doing a great job!

Keep us posted!!

Tiana

Default Re: How critical is weight gain in the transition to exclusive bf?

Thank you for the reply! I think I was worrying for nothing ... her weight seems to be on the upswing. I've been weighing her naked on my home baby scale - she's so wiggly I can see why things might fluctuate some on her weight, so I'm not going to worry too much about an ounce here or there.