Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painful breast, expressing blood?

Default painful breast, expressing blood?

Only from one opening on the nipple, lower part of breast where i normally get mastitis is getting sore. i saw a blood clot.

Default Re: painful breast, expressing blood?

I hope to heck it's nothing!!! Please take best of care of yourself until this resolves!!!

well theres no real lump... It weird.

Did you bump your breast or get hit in the chest by one of the kiddos? Wondering if its like a bruise or injury opening up?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

This is from The Breastfeeding Answer Book (3rd Edition)

"One researcher found that blood in the milk is not uncommon. When he examined early milk through a microscope, blood was detectable in the milk of 15 percent of asymptomatic lactating women (Lafreniere 1990)
    One cause of blood in the milk of pregnant or lactating women has been referred to as "vascular engorgement," a slight internal bleeding caused by a combination of increased blood flow to the breast and rapid development of the milk-producing glands (Kline 1964). This is reported to be most common in first-time mothers, usually occurs in both breasts (although in some mothers it occurs in only one breast at first), and there is little or no discomfort (Lawrence and Lawrence, p.542). In a survey of 32 Australian women who reported blood in the milk during pregnancy and lactation that could not be explained by other causes, most reported the blood clearing within three to seven days after the onset of lactation (O'Callaghan 1981). This is also sometimes called "rusty-pipe syndrome."
    Other common causes of blood in the milk include intraductal papillomas and fibrocystic disease (Lawrence and Lawrence, p.542). An intraductal papilloma is a benign tumor in a milk duct. An intraductal papilloma usually occurs in only one breast, cannot be felt as a lump, and may or may not be accompanied by pain or discomfort. The bleeding often stops spontaneously without any treatment (Riordan and Auerbach, p. 499).
    Another possible cause is broken capillaries within the breast from rough handling of the breast or the improper use of a breast pump."

I know some of this probably doesn't apply to you, but wanted you to have the whole section. Do any of these causes seem like what your experiencing?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Oh, Serena!! I'm so sorry.

Wishing you a super speedy recovery.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

thanks christy.

I appreciate you typing all that out Jessica. All I can think of is that I am super sick, and Will latched on crummy once today. I seem to be sensitive to bites. instant mastitis. I manually expressed on the sore side, and had Will really drain it and it feels better, but I will probably need abx by tomm.

sorry serena! hopefully you won't need to go the abx route!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

If I could just shake off this cold I might be able to use enough of my brain to help myself.

I had that with my elder daughter.
    Not fun!
    Hope you heal soon!!