Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: silly question...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    147

    Default silly question...

    This may sound silly.....but..do we always feed on demand? or after a while try and schedule feedings? Lo feeds about 8-9 times a day..never less then 8..the last cpl days it has been about 11-12...... but do i continue to feed on demand till i finish breastfeeding? when we get up in the morning....if it is a bit earlier than he would normally wake up on his own..then he wont have a feed when he wakes up..it will be an hour or 2 after we have gotten up (altho he will nap most of this time) but then i feel bad...like i should be making sure he feeds when we get up in the morning..but if he isnt hungry he wont latch...
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: silly question...

    Hi,
    Yes, I would continue to feed on demand. I think babies have growth spurts at different times ( 3 months is one of them)..and during this time they nurse A LOT. It gets a little hard in the beginning I think, b/c we're not sure exactly what it is they want every time they cry...but sounds to me like your little one is going through a growth spurt, and I believe those increased feedings can last for up to a week long.

    Janis

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    928

    Default Re: silly question...

    It's not a silly question! How old is your baby now? Some people start to introduce a routine to nursing and some people stay with 'on demand' until their child weans. It's up to you. I'd just say be careful not to introduce a routine too soon and don't be too strict about it because little babies have such different needs that what works for one baby will not work for another. My son fed far more frequently than other babies his age the whole first year.

    I fed on demand for about 3 or 4 months and then gradually moved into more regular feeding times, like first thing in the morning, mid-morning, midday, early afternoon, mid afternoon, early evening, before bed, then however many feeds during the night - sometimes none, sometimes 6, but you know babies! Some days we'd be pretty much on schedule and other days he'd be asking to nurse on and off all day. I trusted his instincts and went with it because growth spurts, colds and teething can throw routines out of the window! For me and for my baby it worked better to have a routine, but to be flexible to allow for more 'needy' days.

    I asked a lactation consultant about evening feeding because I'd read that you should distract them from nursing for a while in the evening, to ensure a really good bedtime feed so they sleep longer. The LC said the opposite is true - a lot of babies actually sleep longer if they are allowed to nurse on and off for a couple of hours every evening because they get more hindmilk that way. My son would often stay latched on for up to 3 hours but he slept longer..and I watched lots of movies!
    Emma

    J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: silly question...

    this is a GOOD question. My LO will latch, even if he is not hungry, making it harder to tell whether he wants to eat or not! Sometimes he will start popping on and off, which indicates to me that he's not really hungry, but it's hard to tell sometimes, so I keep trying to feed him and sometimes he will spit up if he eats more than he wants to. As long as yours does nolatch if not hungry, I would keep feeding on demand for a while, unless you determine you need a (flexible) schedule or routine at some point.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: silly question...

    I would feed on demand. I was worried about the same thing at first. Then I discovered that I worried too much and if my dd was hungry she would let me know and she would eat. I do work during the day & when my dd is at dc my provider started off by trying to feed her about every 2 hours cause that was about how often she ate at home. So she would give it too my dd if dd didn't want it then she would wait until dd showed her stronger signs. We still nurse at home about every 2-3 hours.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly



    Goals:

    We made it 1 YEAR!

    My Lilly Bug is offically 1!



    trying to quite but still



    Loving & & ing

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: silly question...

    my lo is 6mos old & i feed on demand, but I've noticed in the last two months, she is getting more consistent in her timing, so it feels a little more like a schedule ( with the exception of a brief growth spurt). So if you're feeling the need for more of a schedule or routine, your baby may take care of it for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    928

    Default Re: silly question...

    Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    my lo is 6mos old & i feed on demand, but I've noticed in the last two months, she is getting more consistent in her timing, so it feels a little more like a schedule ( with the exception of a brief growth spurt). So if you're feeling the need for more of a schedule or routine, your baby may take care of it for you.
    That happened to us too - around the time I decided that having a routine would be helpful for us. When I noticed his feeds were getting into a natural routine, I spent a week noting down the times he asked to feed and how long he fed. Then I looked for a pattern and used it as a guide to making feeding times more regular. I was flexible about it, but it was pretty successful because I followed his natural routine.

    However, my friend tried the same thing and didn't notice any patterns at all in her son's feeding. He was completely unpredictable and random. That's his own wonderful and unique personality and he stills nurses on demand at 18 months, which suits him and her. They're just naturally spontaneous people who don't respond well to routines. So it's really up to you and your baby to decide what would work best for you.
    Emma

    J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: silly question...

    My LO and I definitely do more of a routine (not a schedule) than demand feed. We generally do 3 - 3 1/2 hours during most of the day and in the evenings get closer together 2 - 2 1/2 hrs (since milk supply is a little lower). Obviously, if she just ate well 1 1/2 hours ago and is acting fussy she probably isn't hungry. If she didn't eat well, that's a different story. Usually she's just tired. Sometimes, like PP said, I'm not sure what the prob is, so I offer the boob. At least then I know she's not hungry when she doesn't act very interested in food.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: silly question...

    Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    my lo is 6mos old & i feed on demand, but I've noticed in the last two months, she is getting more consistent in her timing, so it feels a little more like a schedule ( with the exception of a brief growth spurt). So if you're feeling the need for more of a schedule or routine, your baby may take care of it for you.
    I'm starting to notice a pattern already with my LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkey View Post
    That happened to us too - around the time I decided that having a routine would be helpful for us. When I noticed his feeds were getting into a natural routine, I spent a week noting down the times he asked to feed and how long he fed. Then I looked for a pattern and used it as a guide to making feeding times more regular. I was flexible about it, but it was pretty successful because I followed his natural routine.

    However, my friend tried the same thing and didn't notice any patterns at all in her son's feeding. He was completely unpredictable and random. That's his own wonderful and unique personality and he stills nurses on demand at 18 months, which suits him and her. They're just naturally spontaneous people who don't respond well to routines. So it's really up to you and your baby to decide what would work best for you.
    Isn't it fascinating how the babies of moms who need routine seem to pick up on that and follow suit, and how babies of more spontaneous moms do the same? The people-watcher in me would love to study this further.

    Quote Originally Posted by oklamom View Post
    My LO and I definitely do more of a routine (not a schedule) than demand feed. We generally do 3 - 3 1/2 hours during most of the day and in the evenings get closer together 2 - 2 1/2 hrs (since milk supply is a little lower). Obviously, if she just ate well 1 1/2 hours ago and is acting fussy she probably isn't hungry. If she didn't eat well, that's a different story. Usually she's just tired. Sometimes, like PP said, I'm not sure what the prob is, so I offer the boob. At least then I know she's not hungry when she doesn't act very interested in food.
    Yep, if the diaper is clean, and everything else appears kosher, and he's still fussing, I give him the boob as a last resort, even if it's not part of his regular pattern. It could be he just needs the extra meal and/or comfort.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long


    I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: silly question...

    Ditto jadesmom...she's pretty regular during the day, but night time is a bit more demand based, as her wake up times are all over the place.

    I also noticed that once she hit 5 months, she was way too interested in the world to remember to eat, so I offer every 3 hours if she's not whining for it. She takes it eagerly every time!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •