Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: very irrate!!!

Default very irrate!!!

so i know my lo is having a growth spurt right now cause he's been eating a bit more lately. he usually eats 5 ounces of EBM 3 times a day while i'm gone. the past couple of days he's been eating 4 times instead of 3. he's also added in an extra nursing session in the evening. that's not the problem. today i pick him up from the babysitter and she says how hungry he's been all day and that she fed him 6-8 ounces each time he ate, and i think he ate 4 times. That is just way too much in my opinion. then she has the nerve to ask me if i'm going to feed him cereal, and i say no, i'm going to wait until he's 6 months. and she says that's a really long time. i told her not to feed him more then 6 ounces each time and she's like ok, but i don't want to feed him every hour. i said he can go at leats 2 hours. he normally would go 2 1/2 to 3. she says how do you know when he's hungry. i say, when he cries. and then i'm thinking how do you know when he's hungry and when to feed him.

then i call my MIL to tell her that I think he was overfed today. (My MIL watches him 3 times week) and she says, well maybe you should give him cereal. he'll sleep through the night then. oh, that made me even more mad! then she says how long are you going to BF. I say for a year, and she's like OMG. You know you have to watch everything you eat and the sugars, etc. At least you know what you're getting in the formula. WTH????

Oh, I am so livid now. People that have never breastfed need to keep their opinions to themselves. As if I don't know how to parent my child. For goodness sakes he's 17 pounds and 4 months old. I think he's getting the nutrition he needs.

I'm really thinking about telling the babysitter how upset she made me feel and that i know what's best for my kid. what do you all think?

Default Re: very irrate!!!

I agree with you whole-heartedly! Your babysitter is hired to care for your child, not determine the best feeding methods SHE thinks the baby should have. Since it's a delicate situation, (with her being the one who cares for your child), I would try to not get too upset with her. Just calmly tell her what you want for your child in regards to the feeding. I'm not sure how to determine what 'overfeeding' means...I'm never sure how much my baby nurses, and since I'm not pumping or anything, he just nurses until he's done. I think that if the baby wasn't hungry, they would just stop sucking on the bottle right? Sorry, not much help in that department.

Good luck!

here's another funny thing. i just called her to ask where his teething toys were since we left them there last week. and then i asked her when he ate last and she said 2:00. I said oh wow, cause he still hasn't eaten yet and it was 6:15. i said, ok thanks and for tomorrow just feed him 5-6 ounces. and all snotty she was like, i know. arg! that makes me mad. i'm still mad about my MIL's comments too. i'm trying to call down.

i forgot to mention that i think she probably just feeds him everytime he gets fussy, when really he's just bored and wants to be walked around. i think people think everytime they fuss you should feed them. i know my DH & I were guilty of that in the first few weeks he was home, but then we realized he really wasn't hungry each time .

I agree, it is not their place. This is one of the hardest things bf moms must deal with (unsolicited advice) especially from pp who do not have a clue. All I can say is educate them, and stand your ground. Let them know that the American Academy of Pediatrics has a policy statement set forth, that states EBF for 6 months. I agree with you, that it is most likely a growth spurt, and then his appetite will go back down. You are doing the right thing. Try to stand your ground and be assertive with them about your decisions as the parent. you are a great mama!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Do you prefill his bottles for daycare? I know some people send bags of milk and let the daycare provider pour out what they want, but I usually send 3 5 oz bottles and then she keeps a spare in her freezer.

no, i just send the milk in bags or the medela bottles. They're usually in 5oz or 2-2.5 ounce bottles. i do send extra milk for a just in case moment. my MIL does have a bag in the freezer for emergencies. i'm afriad if i don't send a little extra milk for a just in case moment that if they thought he was hungry and there was not enough milk, they'd give him formula.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo1079 View Post
    i forgot to mention that i think she probably just feeds him everytime he gets fussy, when really he's just bored and wants to be walked around. i think people think everytime they fuss you should feed them. i know my DH & I were guilty of that in the first few weeks he was home, but then we realized he really wasn't hungry each time .
    i agree! we are currently going through the same thing w/ MIL.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I have SOOOO been there! DCP just told me that most moms would be feeding their LO cereal at my son's age (3 months!) Thank goodness for this site or I would be feeling like there was something wrong with me for following the advice of my pediatrician and everything I have ever read on when to start solids!