Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colic this late in the game?

Cool Colic this late in the game? HELP!!!

Hi ladies! I need help! I didn't know where to post this...

My Lo will be 13 weeks on Monday, and for the past two nights, at 9 o' clock, he will awaken from his sleep (I put him down around 8 or 8:30), and start whimpering, and when I pick him up to settle him down, he will start to drift off, then contort his face, stiffen his back, pump his legs furiously, and scream like he's being pinched. And the cycle continues, calm, contort, stiffen, scream. This is a child that rarely cries, if ever. Usually, once he realizes he's gotten my attention by whimpering, he settles back down, so this is way not the norm for him.

I thought it was gas pain last night (the way the legs were kicking...), but was unsure, so I stripped him down to his diaper, and rubbed his belly, which seemed to help...for a minute, then back to it.

DH wants to assume that it is colic, but I wasn't so quick to write it off as such, until the same thing happened tonight. 9 o'clock rolls around, and he awakens and starts to whimper. I try to comfort him back to sleep, and suddenly, he's in pain (or at least it would seem that way). And he screamed off and on for an hour and a half, then suddenly, he drifted off to sleep.

I called the doctor this morning after the bad night, and they said he could be having a bad night, could have gas, etc. As long as it quits and there's no fever, he's fine, and they can't diagnose him when he's acting fine.

The only diet change I have made is this:

I usually drink Coke Zero with Vanilla with my lunch, but ran out on Saturday. I did have a box of Pepsi and a box of Coke, though, so I thought I would make do with that until this week. Normally, I try to limit my sugar intake, ever since the sugar problems during my pregnancy, so I wonder, could this be causing my little guy's problems? Or is it a possibility that this is colic?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by milk_milk; April 11th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Default Re: Colic this late in the game?

what are his poops like?
    dr sears has some good info on fussy babies on his web site.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

Cool Re: Colic this late in the game?

Right up until this week, he was only going once or twice a week, but now, it's twice daily, and highly explosive. I thought it had something to do with him getting his shots last week, because sine the day after, he's had the poo poo's. Then, I thought it had something to do with the Mylecon I was giving him once a day for being a gassy baby.

I'm new!

He's a very happy baby, usually, and it kills me to see him acting like he was in such pain. The night before last, I had DH getting dressed to go to the ER while I held DS, and vice versa. Right after I got dressed, I sat in the rocking chair to wait on DH to finish getting ready, and DS fell asleep.

I can't keep this up, it hurts me when he's hurting. I cry right along with him.
    Hi there

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

are his poops green?

What we do for my lo when she acts like that is I lay her on her belly on my arms and just walk around with her. It calms her down and soothes her belly at the same time. Also, laying her on a hot water bottle and letting the warmth and movement help move the gas out. HTH!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

They're not green, this time (been there, done that) Now, they're stringy (?), more wet (?), and mucousy (?), does that make sense? The poo looks fairly...shiny (?) Like instead of actually having to clean his bottom when changing him, I lift him up, and wipe once, cause it's so liquidy, and the wipe is soaked through. I've been looking online for some info, and see that is a sign of possible CF which, Oh Lord, I hope not, or malabsorbing, which I don't understand yet, something about a food allergy. The poo poo page doesn't describe his poo at all. which is why I'm trying my darnedest to describe it here.

His weight gain is fine, he's 15lb 8 oz, and he's 13 weeks, so I'm not concerned about that, his wets are fine too. I'm just so worried that he's having digestive issues, and if there is anything I can do to make it stop, I'll try. His pain is killing me! The last two nights, i cried with him every time he cried/screamed, cause there was nothing I could do that I wasn't already trying!
    Last edited by milk_milk; April 11th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Hi there

oh if you think something is wrong do keep talking to your doctor!
    If that doctor will not listen try somebody else.
    caffine can bother some babies and make them fussy.

do you drink alot of cows milk?
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; April 11th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Not a lot of cows milk, no. I do have a bowl of cereal each morning, and a hot pocket for lunch (chicken spinach and cheese), but I've been doing that since the get go.

I've drank those coke zero's every day as well, and they have caffeine in them. I was actually wondering if the sugar could be causing this?

I'm willing to cut whatever I have to out of my diet if someone actually thinks it would help. If it weren't for the pain, I wouldn't have even noticed the weird bowel movements.

A couple weeks ago, he was only having one or two, but they were a little thicker liquid and kind of brownish, no yellow curdy stuff, and HUGE (obviously, I thought it was because he wasn't pooping) Now, he's going once or twice a day, not always huge, but explosive, with a lot of gas accompanying it, and gas through the day, which is why he was getting Mylecon, which I have stopped now.

Hi there

Colic usually starts around 3 weeks and ends around 3 months. So I don't think it is colic. It may be gas or some other discomfort. I would check with the doctor again if it continues for another couple of days.

could be a virus too...
    runny nose? fever?
    this might help
    it talks about diffent poops in babies
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp