Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Down to Three Ducts on Left???

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Question Down to Three Ducts on Left???

My left side has always been a low supplier. Well, I pumped the other night to try to start building up a stash in the freezer. As the machine was going, I looked down. My right side, as always, produced nicely. The spray looked like a Pink Floyd lazer light show. I glance over at my left and it looks like a sad little trickle going into the bottle-only three streams coming from my breast AT THE MOST. I switched hoses so that I know it wasn't a blocked tubing issue and I got the same result at another pumping session.

Is it possible to get more of the ducts firing again on the left? Or am I stuck with the last three until I'm finished nursing? (Also, are these considered "relactation" questions and do I need to post this in that forum?)

I know baby is much more efficient at getting out the milk, but he regularly finishes that side in a few short minutes, or even just one minute max!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Down to Three Ducts on Left???

Ihave only had 3 streams ever! So i would say you are doing good.

I think you are doing good mom cause I usually have 2-3 laser of sprays, then when the sprays stops goes down to 1...

Pumping can cause calluses on your nipples that could cause the 'streams' to be a little blocked. Do you have little white bumps on the very tip of your nipple? If so, you may have some calluses. Compression may be able to help move the milk down and help push it out.

You may want to turn the speed/pressure down if you can to avoid calluses in the future.
    Last edited by FeistyErin; April 10th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Nope, no callusses. I don't pump all that often.

I'd like to get "all cylanders" firing again. Is this possible? They've never had as many as the other side, but this is way low, even for this side.

Ds's diapers aren't as wet as I'd like them to be. Once upon a time, we did one side per session/feeding. Now it's always both and I'd like to get back to one if I can. I'd like them to be a little more symmetrical too-I have to be in a bathing suit soon and I don't want one over-inflated balloon and one sad, little, deflated balloon.
    Last edited by mommamags; April 10th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Hi,

The best way to "even out" milk production is to nurse baby more often on the less-producing side. You could try always starting on the less producing side for a few days to see if that helps.

Also, you could try breast compressions and massage as you are nursing/pumping on that side.

Sometimes, pumps wear out over time and pump parts don't fit as well. You might make an appointment with an IBCLC to make sure that your pump is in good working order and that your pump parts fit you correctly.

HTH. Keep us posted!

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    Hi,

The best way to "even out" milk production is to nurse baby more often on the less-producing side. You could try always starting on the less producing side for a few days to see if that helps.

Also, you could try breast compressions and massage as you are nursing/pumping on that side.

Sometimes, pumps wear out over time and pump parts don't fit as well. You might make an appointment with an IBCLC to make sure that your pump is in good working order and that your pump parts fit you correctly.

HTH. Keep us posted!

Tiana
    I'll get in touch with her. Thanks.

Yeah, the pump I have is pretty ancient, even though not used very often. I have a trip coming up with my lo and I got a pump for travel, but I think it may be a waste of money. (I've only tried it once b/c it just arrived, so I'll give it a fair shake.)

Here is a link to some more information on getting the most out of your pump:

www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Different pumps work differently for different mothers. Most mothers who do a lot of pumping find that a high-quality double electric pump is necessary. On the other hand, there are some women who find smaller hand pumps to be more effective, and still others who get the most out of manual (hand) expression. When you buy a pump, quality is important. A cheap pump made by a company who primarily sells bottles and/or formula is usually not worth the money. If you post in the "Pumping" forum, I'm sure there will be quite a few moms who would be able to tell you what pump worked best for their situation and why.

Keep me posted!

Tiana