Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best supplementation for 1 yo?

Default Best supplementation for 1 yo?

I WOH, BF on demand when I'm home (including nights--we cosleep). I have only been able to pump once a day at work lately and for quite some time I have noticed a decrease in supply (even before I went to once a day). I have been supplementing with frozen milk from my deep freeze stash. However, I also travel a bit for work and the stash, after I come home from the trip I'm currently on, will be depleted. I am going to Europe for week next month and I will not have enough stored milk for that trip (or for my DD to get 5 ounces per day when I'm gone--her afternoon bottle).

I am going to renew my efforts to pump more and starting drinking Mother's Milk tea. But meanwhile, I'm pretty sure my 1 yo DD will NOT be happy if she doesn't have her afternoon bottle (even though my pediatrician says she is getting enough total milk the rest of the time by just BF). I have been thinking my DD was intolerant of dairy but over time she has been fine with organic butter, cheese, and yogurt. I've not yet tried cows milk.

So, with that background, I have two questions:

1. What do you recommend I try first for supplementation: wean from an afternoon bottle (she already has free choice water), wean to cow's milk or goats milk, anything else (I'm allergic to soy and don't want to give her soy milk)?
    2.Should I offer the "new milk" as an afternoon bottle by itself and just freeze my expressed milk for my next trip so that she can choose to drink the "new stuff" or not during the day, but still get BM at night? OR should I use up all my pumped milk on a daily basis and just "top it off" with new milk to equal 5-6 ounces?

I would think I would mix the "new milk" with my expressed milk for a week, but then eventually switch to the afternoon bottle being some supplementary milk and start stock piling the expressed milk for my next trip, but I don't know....

Or, is it time to day-wean?

Thanks!

Kristine, Mom to Emma, 1 year, 2 weeks.

Default Re: Best supplementation for 1 yo?

I started giving my son cow's milk. He always wants to drink anything mom or dad is drinking out of our glasses, so his dad let him try some of his milk, thinking he might not like it, and he loved it! I eventually stareted giving him whole milk in his cup because he always wanted to drink daddy's milk and daddy drinks skim, so I figured it was better to just start him on whole milk rather than to try and hold out for the BM. I would recommend giving her whatever you decide to supplement with straight first to see if She'll drink it. You never know unless you try?
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

I've heard that a lot of babies like rice milk, because it's sweet like Breastmilk. Or could you mix some Bmilk with another type of milk for her afternoon bottle?

I had to supplement my son because of being preggers. I use either Almond Milk or Oat Milk (he prefers Oat Milk).

I would really advise staying away from cow's milk. Cow's milk is notorious for causing other problems (even if you do not see them)...constipation, excess mucous, etc.

you could try juice just for your trip.
    Your hoping to coax her back to the breast after your trip right?

As long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need extra milk
    A week with little breastmilk will not hurt.
    She might get a little constipated on just solid foods, just give lots of water and fruit.

Interesting points to try rice, almond, or oat milk or juice. I am going to follow up on all of them. Thank you!

I just wanted to share that I talked to my DH and we were trying to see if she could get by with three bottles during the day and one overnight (she usually splits it between two feedings for him when I'm traveling). Well, she had an 8 am, a 1 pm, and and 8 pm bottle, with three meals and snack. She drank another 4 ounces at 10 pm, then finished the final 2 ounces at midnight and my DH had to get up and make another bottle at 4. She drank most of it at 5 am, then finished at 7 am and slept till 9am.

So much for limiting milk..she instead made us make an EXTRA bottle.

I'm reading Mothering your Nursing Toddler and have no desire to completely wean, but would love to stop pumping and just nurse when I'm home. I think I will research all the suggestions and find a suitable "drink" for while she is at home during the day while at work and continue to store pumped milk for the long trips.

One more thing that we use is Coconut Juice. It's very good and milk can sometimes become too much.

We use coconut juice by O.N.E you can get it at any health food store.