Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In tears with frustration

Exclamation In tears with frustration

Ok...so I believe my 5 month old is on a day time nursing strike. The last three days have been torture. She becomes very hungry but will not nurse, she has always refused a bottle, and I have even tried suringe feeding but she shakes her head rapidly and promptly spits the milk out. The only way I have to feed her is by nursing. The last three days have been a constant struggle. She will start by arching her back and crying when I try to nurse...we will stand up and bounce, soothe etc...then try again, same thing. It gets to the point where she is so hungry that I cannot soothe her anymore. Yesterday she cried so hard that she started gagging and dry heaving until she threw up some stomach bile (nothing else in her stomach). At this point we have hit the problem of her being incredibly tired as well, but she will only fall asleep while nursing! I finally had to call my mom to come over and help me, and she fell asleep on her shoulder almost immediately. It is like she gets frustrated with me because she knows I have the food, but she can't get to it for some reason.

The only good thing is that she will nurse when she is sleepy. She is an awesome nurser during the night. She also does well if I can get her to fall asleep for someone else (DH or my mom) and then I will take her into the bedroom and nurse her while she is practically sleeping. Well...any suggestions? I have a sleep deprived, extremely fussy baby that will not eat on my hands. I love her so much and I will do whatever it takes to help her get to nursing and being happy again!
    and loving it!

First time mom to Rory Anne

Born 10/29/07 7lbs 10ounces

Default Re: In tears with frustration

HI!
    Hmmm, I sympathize with your situation. My little one is 5 months also, but I haven't came across that problem, luckily. Maybe something you're eating during the day? Or..maybe you've started stressing about it which can affect your milk let-down and your baby senses you're stressed too...?? Do you ever nurse in the 'laying down' position..where you're laying on the bed on your side w/ baby facing you?? it's very relaxing and you both can relax and snuggle, etc.
    Sorry, I'm not much help..just trying to give a little possible insight? I would try calling a lactation consultant to get some suggestions.

Good luck!
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by jnugget View Post
    HI!
    Hmmm, I sympathize with your situation. My little one is 5 months also, but I haven't came across that problem, luckily. Maybe something you're eating during the day? Or..maybe you've started stressing about it which can affect your milk let-down and your baby senses you're stressed too...?? Do you ever nurse in the 'laying down' position..where you're laying on the bed on your side w/ baby facing you?? it's very relaxing and you both can relax and snuggle, etc.
    Sorry, I'm not much help..just trying to give a little possible insight? I would try calling a lactation consultant to get some suggestions.

Good luck!
    Janis
    Actually...lying down is the ONLY position she will nurse in. For the last month it is the only position we have been successful with.
    and loving it!

With my first baby, Julianne, she had a LOT of difficulties nursing for just about the first 5 months. She was very picky..anyhow, I came across the BEST nursing pillow (for me at least). It straps around you so that when you sit, it stays in place..and it has a flat surface. It's called 'my breastfriend'. haha, funny name but works like magic for me.

Hmmm, maybe it has to do w/ her teeth coming in?

Just a thought but could you introduce a sippy with ebm? My lo started taking one at 3 months and really liked it. Hope it gets better!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

I could have written your post myself! My DD is a week from 5 months and is exactly how you describe yours. Increasingly irritated at the breast, especially during the day...eats better when drowsy and best when almost completely asleep.

Today, she has almost completely refused the breast. I've gotten her to snack at it twice but for about 30 seconds to 1 minute at the most. She's been really fussy in general though also, so I suspect either she is really mad because she's hungry or she's got some major teething issues. She has taken bottles in the past, but she refused one today (so don't feel too bad about that). We gave her Hyland's teething tablets and then tried to feed her again after 1 hour and that was one of the times I was able to get her to snack.

We have considered the sippy cup idea as well. I bought a Born Free one for a 6 month + baby with the closed slits so that she still kind of has to suck on them. I am a little nervous to try it, but am afraid she is not eating well. she is still poo'ing and pee'ing alright so I don't know how long I should let her strike without getting something into her. I hope more people post some advice!

Have you tried any of the suggestions on this page?
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

How is it going? is she bf in the day again? My lo was the king of nursing strikes. first thing to remember is: relax. Your lo will NOT starve himself. You would be amazed at how much they can get at night. I always freaked out until my lo went on a 7 day strike, he survived! and then a day or even a few days of just a daytime strike seemed like nothing! not to downplay a strike at all, I know it is totally stressful, but it is temporary. Some things to remember. Keep bf as stress free as possible, if it gets tense stop and try again later. try going topless as much as possible, wear lo in a sling or lay down on the bed and just play, chances are they will attempt to latch at some point, also you could try a bath.
    I never worried about a cup/bottle the first day of a strike, he wouldn't take one anyway . . . if they won't take it in a syringe, don't stress, especially if your lo is nursing fine at night, she is getting plenty.
    I hope things are going better, I know it can be rough!

Question Re: In tears with frustration

Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace View Post
    How is it going? is she bf in the day again? My lo was the king of nursing strikes. first thing to remember is: relax. Your lo will NOT starve himself. You would be amazed at how much they can get at night. I always freaked out until my lo went on a 7 day strike, he survived! and then a day or even a few days of just a daytime strike seemed like nothing! not to downplay a strike at all, I know it is totally stressful, but it is temporary. Some things to remember. Keep bf as stress free as possible, if it gets tense stop and try again later. try going topless as much as possible, wear lo in a sling or lay down on the bed and just play, chances are they will attempt to latch at some point, also you could try a bath.
    I never worried about a cup/bottle the first day of a strike, he wouldn't take one anyway . . . if they won't take it in a syringe, don't stress, especially if your lo is nursing fine at night, she is getting plenty.
    I hope things are going better, I know it can be rough!

Hi, and what about your supply during this 7 day nursing strike? Did it decrease? I have the same problem for the last couple of days. LO is eating well only during night time. During daytime he cries every time I put him on the breast - doesnt seem hungry at all! He is almost 4 months and this is the first time this happens. Today, I spent half the morning crying..

Well...she did a little bit better yesterday . She nursed twice during the day, once at 2:00pm and again at 8:00pm. But that is the only feeding she had during the day since she will not take a bottle. I tried the sippy cup and she was very interested in it and seemed to want the milk; however she can't quite grasp how to suck on it to get the milk out. I am a little bit concerned though because for three days she only wants to nurse a couple of times during the night for 5 min or so...sometimes not even that long. Could she be getting enough with only nursing twice during the day and getting a marginal amount during the night? I tried to nurse her for longer during the night, but she was not interested because she is so overtired (we are also having a lot of sleep difficulities because she will only fall asleep nursing, and she is barely nursing!)

Thank you everyone for your responses. What worked for me yesterday was laying on the bed playing, not trying to get her latched on, just letting her know that food was ready for her if she wanted it. It was kind of funny actually because she layed next to me for about half an hour eyeing the boob like "Hmmmm, I think I might want some of that." Eventually she rolled over and latched on like it was not big deal. It seemed like the key was letting HER decide, and not trying to get her latched on myself. Thank you for the suggestion! Hopefully today goes even better!
    and loving it!