Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in nursing habits normal?

Default Change in nursing habits normal?

Hi-
    My DS is 10 weeks old, EBF. For the first 8-9 weeks he was nursing about every 2-3 hours for at least 30-40 minutes per feeding. The last week or so he has been nursing every 3-4 hours for less than 15-20 minutes and often he will only nurse on one side per feeding. Is this normal? Is he getting more efficient or something? Should I keep trying to put him back on the breast? One time I kept putting him back and then he threw up the whole feeding. I guess that was my fault? I'm new at this. Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Change in nursing habits normal?

Mine did the exact same thing...except he went from 30-45 minutes down to 5-10, one side ...yes, they get more efficient. Trust your baby's cues. As long as you don't have overactive letdown and your baby doesn't have reflux or something...all should be well.

Default Re: Change in nursing habits normal?

Quote Originally Posted by TruetoTrue View Post
    Hi-
    My DS is 10 weeks old, EBF. For the first 8-9 weeks he was nursing about every 2-3 hours for at least 30-40 minutes per feeding. The last week or so he has been nursing every 3-4 hours for less than 15-20 minutes and often he will only nurse on one side per feeding. Is this normal? Is he getting more efficient or something? Should I keep trying to put him back on the breast? One time I kept putting him back and then he threw up the whole feeding. I guess that was my fault? I'm new at this. Thanks for the help!
    My DS is 13 Weeks and has had a similar schedule. Before it was every 2 hrs, and for 4 weeks now it has been every 3-4, one side/feeding. He also threw up when I tried putting him back. Of course all this has changed this week, he's feeding alot more often but I think he's going through a major growth spurt. Just when you get used to a routine, he changes it on you I'm also pretty new at this, but I think just go with the flow, babies are smarter than us in that department - they know what they need better than we do.