Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clogged duct help

Default clogged duct help

my ds (5 mos old) is ebf. i have a persistent clogged duct on my left breast that i can't seem to relieve; it's been hanging on for a week or so. i've only varied nursing positions at this point, but nursing is becoming pretty painful on that side and my breast throbs with pain for awhile after nursing. no infection, just discomfort and a lump under the breast. he just seems to keep hitting that sore spot every single time no matter how i latch him on. maybe i should feed him upside down standing on my head?!?!?!?!?!?!? any suggestions? thanks for your help!

Default Re: clogged duct help

Have you tried lecithin? The kellymom link in Andrea's post above should give the recommended dosage. You can buy lecithin capsules at a health food store, I think.

If you're looking for a different position that is good for clearing clogged ducts, I've heard some moms have success on hands and knees on a bed, with baby on his back, his feet pointing the same direction that your head is pointing. That might be more doable than standing on your head!

Good luck -- I hope it clears soon.

--Rebecca

Default Re: clogged duct help

Quote Originally Posted by nennikers
    maybe i should feed him upside down standing on my head?!?!?!?!?!?!? any suggestions? thanks for your help!
    When I was in a similiar situation, I did the side-lying position, but with my little one's feet in front of my face instead of us being face to face.

Do you wear underwire bras? That may be causing the clogged duct.