Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling with 3 month old DD, help.

Default Traveling with 3 month old DD, help.

In May I will be traveling from AZ to WA by car with my THEN 3 month old DD.
    I am planning on having my inlaws drive while Im in the back with DD the whole way. She doesnt seem to like the car, or maybe its the car seat? So I usually have to keep her happy and busy in order for her to not cry whenever shes in the car.
    The trip takes 24 hours we will probably drive 12 hours sleep and drive the other 12 the next day. OF COURSE stopping every couple hours to nurse, take baby out and changer her diaper, and for us to walk and eat as well. My DD nurses usually every 2 hours unless she naps which I could get a stretch of 4 hours in.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or ideas for this trip? In the car and out?
    I dont have a problem nursing in public, so thats not an issue. Im just worried Ive never done this before.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: Traveling with 3 month old DD, help.

If your baby sleeps during the night I would highly recommend driving during the night time. I took my then 5 month old on a 12 hour road trip. On the way there we drove through the night. It was wonderful. She woke up once and I gave her a bottle (yes, I took my pump and pumped in the car!) The ride home, however, we decided to get a "jump" on it and left at 3pm. It was a nightmare drive. My daughter has no problems being in the car, but she certainly had a problem being trapped in her carseat for so long. If I do a road trip again I will do it at night. It sounds like enough people will be going on the trip that you could take turns driving. I hope it all works out. Good luck!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I totally agree with PP, I would travel at night. We recently took a 6 hour drive and it was great. My 3 MO slept the entire way (from 11pm-5am) and we made such great time since we didn't have to stop for baby and there was so little traffic. Then you could stop and sleep during the day and get her worn out to start again!

no she doesnt sleep through the night usually only 4 hours at a time then somenights its only 2 hours.
    This is going to be rough!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*