Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 year old weening and milk or formula?

Default 1 year old weening and milk or formula?

My 1 year old has begun weeing herself from me. She will still nurse at night and in the morning, thank goodness, but my pediatrian said there is no point in introducing formula to her since she is 1 and he suggested moving her to whole milk. I wanted to get some other opinions from mommies who have been there. I know there are pleny of "next step" formulas out there. Right now, I am using an organic milk for her, mixed with breastmilk I pump. But, since she is not nursing as often, the pumping has slowed down, too.

Default Re: 1 year old weening and milk or formula?

So in addition to nursing twice a day how much BM are you pumping and giving her? Normally if the baby is nursing about 4 times a day (assuming she gets at least 4oz each time), there is no need for additional milk. If she is nursing twice she is probably getting about 8 oz from you. Add the EBM on top of it and then give some whole cow's milk so that it will add up to at least 16 oz.
    If she is a nice solids eater eating a variety of foods whole milk is sufficient and there is no need for the stage 2 formulas. Plus yours is still getting BM which is more than enough to close the nutritional gaps that her solids diet may leave.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    So in addition to nursing twice a day how much BM are you pumping and giving her? Normally if the baby is nursing about 4 times a day (assuming she gets at least 4oz each time), there is no need for additional milk. If she is nursing twice she is probably getting about 8 oz from you. Add the EBM on top of it and then give some whole cow's milk so that it will add up to at least 16 oz.
    If she is a nice solids eater eating a variety of foods whole milk is sufficient and there is no need for the stage 2 formulas. Plus yours is still getting BM which is more than enough to close the nutritional gaps that her solids diet may leave.
    Thank you so much! I am having a very hard time pumping, as she was sick for about a week and my supply really went down. But, I love the nightime and morning nursings, as does she. She is a GREAT eater and I offer her a variety of nutritional foods throughout the day. In the past 3 weeks, she seems more interested in food anyway. I just didn't want to have to buy the expensive, and stinky!, formula for older kids if I didn't have to

I don't think it's necessary at all to go to any sort of formula.
    Sounds like you're doing great!

I wouldn't go to formula. 1 yr is when they recommend going to cow's milk anyway. If you're buying organic, I believe it's Horizon (I can't remember for sure because we just buy whichever organic brand is cheapest at the moment) has a whole milk that is fortified with DHA. Maybe that would make you feel better about going straight to milk?
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I wouldn't go to formula. 1 yr is when they recommend going to cow's milk anyway. If you're buying organic, I believe it's Horizon (I can't remember for sure because we just buy whichever organic brand is cheapest at the moment) has a whole milk that is fortified with DHA. Maybe that would make you feel better about going straight to milk?
    Yes, I am the consumer that Horizon targets! They put "promotes eye and brain development" on the milk and I push people out of the way to buy it! Who knows if it is that much better, but I feel better about it when I put it in her sippy cup. And she does like it!

does she nurse before bed?
    MAybe adding a feed then would make you feal more comfortalbe with her milk intake.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    does she nurse before bed?
    MAybe adding a feed then would make you feal more comfortalbe with her milk intake.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk
    She still nurses before bed and first thing in the morning. Then on weekends, I just try to nurse her when I can. I am not even sure that if I nurse her at 12pm on a Saturday that anything is coming out, but she isn't complaining and I love it!!

Hi Mama, First I wish you luck with your current post topic. Second, I remember your posts about flying with milk... are you still traveling? How's that going for you both? So far I've just traveled with my lo but may have to go without him soon. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    Hi Mama, First I wish you luck with your current post topic. Second, I remember your posts about flying with milk... are you still traveling? How's that going for you both? So far I've just traveled with my lo but may have to go without him soon. Just curious.
    Oh lord, does my pump bag have miles. I wish I could enroll it in the advantage miles program! I just stopped pumping, so my last trip with the pump bag was to NYC about 2 weeks ago. My baby got really sick, long story, and my milk just went down. I just really wanted to make sure I could still nurse in the morning and at night. But, yes...I know it all! Please email me if you have any questions. I have flown all over the US with my "Baby Coach" bag, as I like to refer to it!
    I love to help traveling, pumping moms b/c it really isn't that hard...you just have to be organized and plan ahead (like everything else in a mom's life!)sarahebre@yahoo.com