Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preemie baby, am I freaking for nothing?

Default Re: Preemie baby, am I freaking for nothing?

SGA is small for gestational age. Not technically a preemie (37 weeks) but she wasn't even near the charts for weight (4 1/2 pounds). It was scary but she's doing great....still teensy though!
    new mom to yael justine, born 12/20/07 4lbs 7oz

cloth diapers all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by theperfectmix View Post
    My daughter was born at exactly 34 weeks because of placental abruption. She was in NICU on Oxygen for a while and due to an emergency section I wasn't allowed to see her or nurse her that whole first day.

She's now 4 weeks old (and home) and still sleeps ALL the time. She wakes to nurse but that's it. She wets about 4-5 diapers a day (soaking them) and stools about 4-5 times a day as well (they are orange in color). I don't know if she's gained anymore weight since her last Dr's appt. (at that one she still lost another 2 oz since bringing her home)...I'm concerned that she's not alert when not eating could mean that she's not getting enough milk. Her pediatrician does NOT support breastfeeding (even with my other children she almost immediately insisted on switching them to formula at the first sign of a concern) so if I bring this to her attention she'll wear me down until I go to formula.

Is her being a preemie causing her to sleep all the time? Or should I maybe supplement with formula? I take fenugreek & mother's milk tea to help with my supply...she's not fussy and has only just started to pull on the breast at some feedings...she cluster feeds at night (from 6-10) and wants to nurse every 2 hours tops.
    Can anyone tell me if I should be worried? And what's with all the posts about "green stool" does color matter?

Do you have a baby scale? If not, can you rent or borrow a fairly decent one? (Medela has baby scales that can be rented -- usually through breast pump rental stations.) It's hard to tell from your post whether she's breastfeeding as effectively as needed yet or not. (Even if she's not quite there yet, she will get there. She's just reaching full term now...) She should be gaining at least 20 gm/2/3oz or more per day on average.

Are you pumping after she eats? If so, what kind of pump are you using? If not and concerned about production (enough to take fenugreek, etc.), pumping may help boost production. Formula has no disease-fighting properties -- only your milk has those, so I really don't understand the pedi. But if she needs some extra, pumping may be needed until she's ready to wake up and smell the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Gromada View Post
    Are you pumping after she eats? If so, what kind of pump are you using? If not and concerned about production (enough to take fenugreek, etc.), pumping may help boost production. Formula has no disease-fighting properties -- only your milk has those, so I really don't understand the pedi. But if she needs some extra, pumping may be needed until she's ready to wake up and smell the milk.

I am pumping. I started because I'm in school and would have been away from her 3 nights a week and I wanted to give my hubby milk to give her. After nursing I would be able to get about a half ounce to an ounce depending on time of day. He used that milk a few times...but after a week or so I couldn't get any out during pumping. I couldn't get my milk to let down (even by holding her, smelling her clothes and looking at her) I use a Medela Single Electric. We can't really afford to rent a hospital grade one. Just this past tuesday I was able to get out 2 oz....BUT she then promptly started wanting to nurse every half hour so I know that it wasn't enough.

And the Dr doesn't care if you BF...just that at first sign of a problem she insists that the mom stop nursing and go straight to formula. Llike my other son was born tongue tied and couldn't nurse effectively and she didn't want to clip the tongue just stick him on formula, I finally found a Ped. dentist that would clip his tongue and I could go back to BF...but he never got over having formula so I needed to supplement him. I nursed him until 6 months...BUT I don't want to do that this time. I really want to make this work especially since she's a preemie I know that my milk is so much better for her than formula.

do you think that she has tounge tie also?
    I know that runs in families!
    You might be able to get your health insurace to cover the pump rental some will....

don't forget your local LLL leader
    We have wonderfull leaders in ohio.
    use the pull down in the find local support area
    pick usa
    then ohio.